Chapter 25

Natalie's POV

I sway with a sleeping Judith while I watch the priest scrub at the blood stains on the floor. Carl lays out some weapons in front of him.

"Pick one. You gotta learn how to defend yourself. We can teach you, Natalie did a great job at teaching me." He says looking to me with a smile in which I return.

"Defend myself? They said they would go." Gabriel responds motioning to the blood stains making my smile fade, as does Carl's.

"They were lairs and murders-"

"Just like us?" The priest fires back making me look to Michonne, us both exchanging a knowing look.

"We protected ourselves. They wanted us dead. You're lucky your church lasted this long. You can't stay in one place for too long. And when you're out there, you will find trouble you can't hide from. You need to know how to fight." Carol responds, making a frown appear on my features.

He didn't deserve to grow up like this. Sure I did, but I also didn't have a choice in the matter, but I guess neither does he. Carl reminded me of myself at his age, going through things no child should experience. His only worries should have been homework and coming home past curfew, not fighting for his life. I then look down to baby Judith in my arms as Carl continues the conversation. The poor baby will have to grow up knowing to fear for her life, and fight for it. That is no way for a kid to live. But that's what I am here for. Chris, Lydia, and I. We help protect and survive.

And I will do everything in my power to protect this little girl, even if it kills me.

___________________

Carl, Michonne and I sit in a comfortable silence with Judith who is sound asleep.

"You think they'll get Beth and Carol back?" Carl asks me making me look down to him, pulling him into a side hug in which he returns.

"Of course they will. Your dad is a smart man, he'll get them back." I tell him while brushing his hair back. He smiles at me.

"You know Daryl loves you right?" He tells me making my eyes widen.

"Uh. W-What are you talking about?" I laugh nervously and he shakes his head with a grin.

"I'm 16, not stupid Nati. That man lovessss you. And you love him... don't you?" The little devil asks making me narrow my eyes playfully.

"Hush up kid, let it happen on its own time." Michonne tells him making him put his hands up in defense. She winks at me making me smile, shaking my head.

"Help! Let me in please!" We hear Gabriel yell from outside. We all look at each other alarmed . "Please! Please don't leave me out here!" He yells out once more. We run to the boarded up door with an axe, chopping at it. Once Michonne gets the door open, I aim my gun shooting down walker as they enter the church. We look at the huge group of walkers, to much for us to take out and I definitely didn't want to put Judith's life in danger.

"Come on! I have a way out!" Gabriel yells as we run to his office. He holds the door shut and points to a spot in the floor where the boards have been lifted up. "That's how I go out, I'll hold them off. Go! Take the little one and go!" He tells us.

"We will wait for you." Michonne tells me and I nod. We grab our things,  Michonne going in first, then Carl with Judith. I adjust my bow and look at the priest once more.

"I'm not going until you are out of here." He tells me. I nod and duck into the hole. I make my way out, doing an army crawl until I get outside. Carl and Michonne help me up and Gabriel comes out soon after.

"Are you okay?" Michonne asks me and I nod.

"I can run anymore." Gabriel says to us and I shake my head.

"We aren't running." I tell him putting a hand on his shoulder.

__________________

We stand together infront of the boarded up church doors, keeping the dead inside. Or so we thought. The doors start to crack from the force.

"Where do we go?" Gabriel asks us and I look back. Soon a firetruck comes up, blocking the doors. Out comes Abraham, Maggie, Glenn and the rest. I smile when I see them.

"Son of a bitch." I say as Glenn hugs me with a chuckle. I pull away as Maggie pulls me into a hug also. "You're back." My smile still there.

"Eugene lied. We can't stop it. Washington is the end." Glenn tells us, making my smile fade. "Where is everybody?" He adds lookin around. Michonne then smiles walking up to Maggie.

"Beth is alive. She is in a hospital with some people but the others went to get her back." She tells her, making Maggie smile and her eyes brim with tears.

"Do we know which one?" Maggie asks and I nod.

"Grady Memorial." I respond and she puts her hands on her forehead, hugging Glenn with a laugh.

"Let's blow this joint, and go save your sister." Tara speaks up as we all smile.

____________________

I tap my finger on my knee, having a very bad feeling. Negotiations usually never go right, there is always some blood that is shed. Maggie puts her hand on top of mine making me look up to her.

"They will be okay. Stop worrying." She reassures me over the loud hum of the firetruck. I let out a sigh and run my fingers through my hair.

"You can always tell when I'm stressed." I respond with a forced laugh, the pit in my stomach not going away. She narrows her eyes.

"I've grown to know you Natalie, I know when something is wrong." She tells me making me shake my head with a weak smile. The knot in my stomach tightens the closer we get.

Something just isn't right....

_________________

Lydia's POV

The gunshot rings out, and seems to be the only thing I hear.

From my spot between Rick and Daryl I feel the blood spatter on me. My eyes widen as Beth's lifeless body falls to the ground, blood pooling around her head. In so much shock, even I can't seem to take action, but Daryl does. Quickly whipping out the gun that was tucked in his waist band, he shoots the lady that shot her in the head, killing her instantly.

I feel a sob escape my lips, as from Daryl as he continues his aim. I lightly take my hand and put it over his, pushing it down and making him look away.

She was so young... and now she's gone.

_______________

Natalie's POV

The truck slows to a stop and we all pile out, walking towards the doors with our guns raised, we take out a few walkers as we near the entrance.

A smile finds its way to my face when I see Rick, Lydia and Chris but it fades when Lydia shakes her head, eyes red and puffy. I look between the three, questions and worry running through my mind. She hugs me, in which I return tightly.

Then I see it.

Daryl carrying Beth's lifeless body in his arms.

"No." I whisper, barely audible over Maggie's screams as she drops to the ground. Daryl doesn't meet my eyes, just looks to the ground.

My heart breaks at the sight. The cries. Even through the sobs of everyone including myself, the silence seems deafening. Lydia's body shakes as she clutches my shirt tightly.

In this world, we always thought that survival would be the hard part, even for us, but the reality is, loosing people is the hardest... harder than I would even imagine.

___________

Beth's death crushed the whole group.

How will this effect Daryl and Natalie's relationship?

Vote. Comment. Follow.

-Katdixon6