Keep it Short and Interesting

ea_carter

I grew up in the 1980s' world of Stranger Things where the closest thing to Wattpad for burgeoning authors was to ask one's grandmother to read your story and say what she thought. Progress was . . . glacial. So when I stumbled upon Wattpad, I fell in love with it right away. After years of wandering in a wilderness, it was a dream to be able to connect with readers and writers in a vast, warm and supportive community.

If you are new, and are wondering how to begin your Wattpad journey, it's worth spending a little time looking at what authors with a strong following are doing on their profiles and with their books - which can help give you ideas about what you would like to do with yours. Follow people who write books you like, comment on their stories, and chat with other readers via the forums. The more people you connect with, the more you become visible. And you never know, you might even make a friend or ten along the way.

When publishing your story, briefer chapters are preferred by readers over longer ones, and make sure to end each on a tense note. It keeps the pages turning! And, of course, a great cover and description are key to getting readers. I use canva.com to create my images. It's fun, free, and easy to use. With the External Link option, you can also add links for your soundtrack on Spotify, or photo collage on Pinterest.

For every writer, a world of readers awaits. So get in here. Set your story free. It wants to be here. It wants to be read.

And you never know, it might even be the next big thing.