Make it Fun!

everlovingdeer

Starting out as a new writer can be downright terrifying. The moment you first post a story on Wattpad, you sit back and eagerly await for the comments and votes to come in. But more often then not, they don't come – not for a while yet. So, you try and try again, often modeling your writing after someone else's style. And that's the biggest mistake I first made. 

Personally, Wattpad for me became the most enjoyable when I stopped holding myself to someone else's standards and wrote in the way that suited me best – the way that came naturally to me. The moment I gave up emulating someone else and started writing for myself – without writing for others – I began to enjoy writing again. Writing became less of a chore and became the part of the day that I looked forward to the most. And that is my advice to all new writers; enjoy what you write because if you don't enjoy it, then how can you expect anyone else to?

Wattpad is a global website where you can read stories from novice authors from around the world and I'd encourage everyone to make friends on here. These friends can become your deepest confidants, your support system or even the idea board that you bounce potential plot twists off of. Make the most of that. Whether you just write for leisure, or whether you actually plan to publish a book in the future, the journey is a lot less lonely (and much less stressful) if you've got people to help you along the way.

Of course, I'm not expert in any of this so you don't need to take any of my advice. But if I had to stress one thing; it would be to simply have fun.