Motivation and Writing

jandralee

If you want to make the most out of Wattpad, always check your motivations. I know this sounds silly, but realistic expectations have the potential to make or break your Wattpad experience. Wanna be Wattpad famous? That's totally cool, but you're probably going to have to work way harder than you expect to make it happen. (And that doesn't even include the luck involved.)

Remember to have fun! I love Wattpad, but – if you're trying to get published — this is one tool you can use. One. Not the only one, nor should you treat it as such. (Otherwise, you'll probably just end up disappointed.) 

Be prepared to commit a lot of time and energy in the platform in the absolute best way. When I first started on Wattpad, I decided to update my books every day as much as possible. I had this rule where I would never allow more than 2 days between new chapters, which meant I was writing constantly whilst working full-time. I stayed up late on business trips, said no to hanging out with friends, and skimped on Netflix binges to make it happen. If you want it, you'll work for it.

I always tell aspiring authors to treat writing like you're an Olympic athlete. Do you think they show up to the Olympics and *boom* gold medal? Absolutely not. They train. They practice. They work out. They practice some more. Writers should be doing the same thing!

If you're new, check your expectations at the door. You're basically at Grade One of Author School. Would you be able to perform well on a college level exam if you were in just starting in Grade One? No. Would you be able to do better than someone who's in Grade Six of Author School? Also no. That's why we practice. That's why we sink time into our passions — to improve and "level up" as authors — and that is why we never compare our journeys to others.

That person with 150 million views on Wattpad? It might seem like it happened overnight, but I can promise you that isn't the case.

You'll get there! Work hard, have fun, and never give up on pursuing your dreams.