Underdogs

ETHAN

Driving through the space between the high rise buildings I call home. I've been on the edge the last week over what happened at Kate's. She barely says anything to me during meetings and afterwards she runs out of the room like she knows I'll speak to her about it, or anything.

Thinking she's avoiding me, I was shut down instantly by Jason. He told me that he's been calling her to organise a dinner with her, but she has been so busy she keeps pushing it off.

She also got those photos online taken off the the internet and is suing multiple news agencies. I may have helped her little without her knowing. I could see she was stressed over it and I wanted to help her as much as I could without her knowing.

She'd probably kill me if she knew.

I've been trying to keep tabs on their little 'dinner' ever since I found out about it. Seeing as he's my brother, I know it's not a dinner. He's secretly trying to get a date with her. Jason can be a snake when he wants to be. Although, I may not have openly told him not to go there with her, it wouldn't matter to him, he'd try fuck her anyway.

Teddy turns into the car park under my building and stopping in my given spot. Once owned by my dad. Once we come to a hault I step out fixing my suit while motioning towards the elevator. I swipe my key card along the electronic pad and allow the cage to move upwards to get to my office. I fix my hair in the mirror hanging behind me. Smiling that I'm looking good today, like every other day. Once the doors part I back out of the elevator and start to walk to my office only to stop abruptly in my tracks.

Hearing her voice. That sweat angelic voice I can feel the perspiration on my body.

She's talking to Jason and Caleb outside Jason's office with his PA. Seeing her in a black dress that goes to her knees and a light blue long coat wrapped around her shoulders. Jason is the first to notice me.

"Speak of the devil and the devil shall appear" he comments so I know they were talking about me. Jason loves a good old bitch about yours truly. Lives to wind me up.

"Bitching about me Jason? That's why my ears are burning this morning" I roll my eyes averting my stare to Chloe holding an envelope in her hand. "Is there a meeting scheduled this morning?" I wondered. All heads shake no and Chloe extends her arm out to hand me the envelope.

"These are the invitation ideas for people our teams have come up with. I've agreed on three I just want you all to choose too. This is yours. If you could let me know by tomorrow so we can start inviting people" she smiles tightly at us all and starts to walk back towards the elevator. "Oh the event details are inside of what they've agreed on, it's black tie and evening gowns for the girls. In case you're planning on bringing someone" she briefly looks at me but spins back around walking back away from us again.

It's wasn't a sly comment, it was more of a so you know comment. Nothing more was said as each of us watched her walk away and into the elevator. When the doors close over I catch those crystal blue eyes once again until I can't see them anymore.

"You guys taking anyone to the event?" Caleb asks aloud.

"Would it be too risky to ask her to go with me?" Jason perks up and I immediately see red once that question left his mouth. But I know she won't go with him. If anyone, she should go with me. But I know she won't, she's too stubborn.

"She'll go with Kate. They always go to these sort of things together" I grumble back at him making his brows furrow back.

"How would you know? You haven't seen her in years" he bites back knowing that we both are feeling the slight tense atmosphere between us. Caleb feels it too so he puts some distance between us. Licking my dry lips we can feel the air become dense and clammy.