She Wasn't Even Invited

ETHAN

"You'll have to wait and see mom" I try and push her off and keep her at bay. My mom can sense that there is a reason for today. But I have to feed her nothing until she gets here and then she can see for herself.

Chloe and I have decided to throw a party in order to announce our news of her pregnancy. Both of us are nervous for the announcement as we aren't sure how people might take this piece of news. We have a list of guests coming today and we don't want this to be leaked to the press either. We want it to be an intimate gathering between our friends and families and that's all we need.

"Can't you give me a little hint?" She pleads cheekily but I know I can't give her anything or I'll get more calls from her like this one. I cant afford for her to be overly excited and let the news spill. She has an awful habit of letting things slip even though she doesn't mean to.

She just gets too excited.

"No, but nice try" I smile as I walk from one room to the other in Chloe's home in the Hamptons to check and see that the party planner is doing a good job and to her taste. We have bar staff and catering staff getting set up and cooking in the back room with a full kitchen ready for them. We have people setting up marques outback with heaters being connected to compensate for the chill after nightfall. Tables being dressed for our guests and place cards are being set for the seating arrangements. We have white decor with yellow flowers in hanging baskets, the smell of sweat pea mixed with lavender candles surround the open air. A light breeze runs across my face and I smile with delight of today.

I'm also checking to make sure that nothing gets given away. We want to tell people our own way, so we want a neutral colour palette for today, and yellow is perfect. We can save the pink for the baby shower once we announce the news. I also have both our publicist drafting up announcements for them to jointly give our exciting news to the world. As much as she knows its not anyone else's business, she knows that we are known throughout the world and it needs to happen.

"I'll be the first to arrive honey, your father and I are on our way now" I couldn't help but laugh hearing how eager she is to know the purpose of the party. It is just going to be a simple and intimate party, and on a nice summers day down on the shore line of Chloe's Hamptons house. Its what she wanted and its what I'll give her. It is a sunny day with stillness greeting us but its quite the opposite of how were feeling about all of this.

We have organised this party not only to reveal our news but also the gender of our baby girl too. Chloe has left the planning to a professional and to save herself from stress due to her perfectionism. She likes to be hands on, believe me, I would know, and get things done but I asked her to maybe consider sitting this one out. For the sake of the early stages of the pregnancy and the risks it can bring. I don't want her to hurt herself or the baby right now. It wouldn't be good for either.

"I know you will, I'll have the planner lock the doors until the time of arrival" I joke with her, but yet I'm half serious. I'll need someone to distract her for at least ten minutes until I have everything ready and Chloe is happy with the plan. I know my mother, she will snoop and pry at any given time.

I've been staying down here with Chloe to keep her company and both of us are able to work and have our peace like we did in Canada. She organised an interior designer to come down and design an office beside hers so we can have a separate space to work but still be under the same roof. Just like everything she does, it's a perfect office space. It has the same vibe and tones as my office in the city to give the illusion that I am there and not here. So I feel more comfortable and its just like Chloe to do something thoughtful like that without even realising it. She plays it off like its no big deal, but to me it is.