Baby

****WARNING MATURE CONTENT ****

CHLOE

"Do you want to come in?" Speaking my mind, I slightly hesitated when asking him inside. I have no idea what on Earth is possessing me to do it, but I've asked the question I'm sure he's heard many times from a night out.

The look on his face tells me that it was the last thing he was expecting to come out of my mouth. And the awkward silence is making me realise he doesn't want it. Well done Chloe. You've made yourself not only look like a total idiot, but desperate too.

"You don't have to it's fine, I get it" I shrug trying to act like it's no big deal.

"No, no, I will. I just... I wasn't expecting you to ask me. That's all?" He laughs a little at the end making me feel even worse. Great, now he thinks I'm some kind of spinster who doesn't invite people inside my home.

Fucking great.

We both walk inside and I throw my bag on the table near the door along with my keys on the counter. Ethan looks like he doesn't know what to do with himself. So, to make quick conversation I offer him to sit somewhere.

"Your home is nicely decorated" he admires my furnishings in the living room that's connected to the kitchen.

"Thank you" I smile back admiring my own work. I worked so hard on getting all of these fine furnishings together, I voyaged around the globe to get a piece from everywhere I went. I love to travel, but I can't do that anymore. The furthest I go is to Canada to my cabin on a secluded lake. It's perfect for me. I never want to leave when I do travel there. Not a single soul knows about it, not even Kate or my dad. I want to finish it completely before I take my dad there. He'd love it there. "Would you like something to eat or drink?" I offer him.

"No food for me, I'm so full I'm about to burst out of my suit" he walks into my kitchen and starts to look around like he did with the living room. "But I'll take a drink if you're having one?" I nod telling him I'll drink with him. I could really use one after the abuse Kim gave me.

All over Brad, what's fucking new. He commented on the fact if I dressed like that when we were together he would've stayed with me and Kim overheard him say it, and immediately went to blamed me for it. Like I had said it to him. So, she went nuts at me calling me all sorts of colourful names to make me feel crappy about myself. But I ignored her, she's my sister, she was hurting and I could see it in her eyes. I knew she was just hurt from over hearing that her fiancé was commenting on the way his ex-girlfriend appeared and how he would've stayed with me if I had looked like that when we were dating. I never want her to feel hurt, or any of my family members. I would take that away from them, and if her losing her cool with me and calling me all sorts of names under the sun to make her feel better and less insecure, then I would take it.

I would take anything she throws at me, because at the end of the day, she's my sister. And I can't lose her too.

I move around to the cupboard above my stove to take down two scotch glasses along with finding the good whiskey my dad got me as a Christmas present last year. I've never wanted to open it and drink from it alone, so why not do it with Ethan? He likes whiskey, because I know Kate won't drink it with me. She hates whiskey. "You Jennings' like your McCallan don't you?" he jokes as I pour him a glass.

"Just me, my dad and grandfather like it. It's always in one of our houses" I push his over to him and we both lift it up to clink them together. "I never got to tell you that your speech was very well done" I complimented him. I remember him being swarmed by the ladies as soon as the speech was over and he wanted to go the bar for a stiff one. I could tell by him. I wanted to tell him he did a good job of it but I couldn't get to him, so I just faded into the background watching him take compliment after compliment from the crowd that were admiring him from below.