Would You Like To Know The Gender?

ETHAN

I never liked going to the doctors office for check ups when I was a kid. My mom used to have to bribe me to come into the building let alone into the room with the doctor. I was the exact same when I had to go to the dentist. I didn't like them, because I knew that there was a a fifty-fifty chance that I would have to get something done. That's an odd I don't like playing with. I prefer an odd that is more in my favour.

But today it is to about me. Its about Chloe.

I can tell that she's nervous too.
One; she's not sure how the baby is but she says it feels fine.
Two; there could be a chance of something wrong with the baby.
Three; we might be able to find out the gender of the baby.
Four; her leg is shaking with just waiting for her name to be called.
Five; we have to share our news and I know that she knows there's a chance of people not taking this piece of news very well.
Six; well... I don't have a sixth reason.

Its very quiet which in turn is making her more agitated. It's during work hours and nobody is around except for three people in the waiting room with us. An older man who is waiting on his wife to come back out from her appointment with the doctor we share. A young lady and her little boy who seems to be full of spirits and playing with he fish in the tank. Cliche, I know, but the thing always keeps people entertained.

"Hi" the young boy greets me as I wait, dividing his attention between me and the fish tank. I'm excited that it's time for a check up and we're going to hopefully see if we can get the first ultrasound done today and see if we can see anything. A little bud growing in her. I've been dying to tell people but I've been warned by her to keep it on the down low for the time being as it's bad luck. Who knew telling people as soon as you knew could be bad luck? But I promised to keep my lips sealed until I've been given the nod from her.

The baby has to reach a certain stage in order for us to safely tell people. Which I never knew, because I never thought I'd be in this position.

"Hi there" I smile down at his big brown eyes, as he turns to sit down on the floor next to the table containing a bright red car track in the waiting room. He picks up various coloured cars and fires them along the track to test how fast and far they can go.

"Are you sick?" He asks bluntly making Chloe burst out laughing. I couldn't help my smile grow while listening to her chuckle at the question. The young boy didn't even flinch, he kept his eyes on the race track as he conversed confidently with me.

"Do I look sick?" I wonder and I check my pulse making him smile.

"No, but some people don't look sick and they are" the kid simply states truthfully. I couldn't help my shoulder dropping with hearing his tone. He said it with a smile, but the tone didn't match and neither did his eyes when he finally gave me his attention.

"You would be correct. How old are you?" I lean forward as I talk with him a little longer.

"Six and three days" he holds up six fingers to match what he said.

I get the feeling he's visiting the doctor today and the young woman reading the tabloids is his mother.

"Six and three days huh? Man you're old!" I laugh and so does he. He shoots up off his knees and shakes his head.

"Are not!" He huffs with a grin on his face. "You're old!" He points out.

"You don't even know how old I am?" I question with a smirk.

"You're older than me" He starts to walk around so he can sit next to me and we can continue with this conversation we're having.

"David!" A woman sitting across from us scold him. "I'm so sorry, Mr Miller" she says knowing who I am and I smile telling her not to worry.