How's That For Luck?

CHLOE

I had woken up in a heartbeat to the sound of my best friend rushing through my home waking everyone up in confusion. I am so used to this version of Kate that I just waited for her to come to me rather than me go to her. I was tired and lazy. There was no chance of me getting out of my cosy cocoon that I had created for myself this morning.

"Sorry! I'm sorry OW! SHI-OOT!" She swears, knowing that Matt is in the house with us. I told her to watch her colourful language around him because I don't want him to reiteration what flies out of her mouth. I wouldn't wish that on anyone's child.

My mom is back at the house and she's organising the dinner in memory of Matt. My dad had left early to assist her and welcome people on arrival like he always does, despite the circumstances of what happened yesterday. My parents are going through a rough patch now as well as my family. The dynamic is non-existent at the moment.

"CHLO!" Kate screams through the house. I eventually start to hear thumping up the stairs. Loud quick stomps and a small giggle from Matt. Next thing I hear is my door burst open to see her wet hair and in a pair of shorts and a tank top. She looks like she raced in the rain. Is it raining outside? I lift my head up to look out of my window and see clear skies. "Did you see it!" She grins. It wasn't a question, it was more of a statement and I had no idea what the hell she was talking about. "DID YOU FUCKING SEE IT?" She bellows shaking her phone in her hand. Dancing her way over to my bed and springs onto me then bounces on top of me with so much excitement. She acts like she younger than Matt.

"What the hell is wrong with you?" I growl at her waking me up. I was having a nice dream about my brother Matt. Her voice ruined it for me.

"What the hell is wrong with me? What the hell is wrong with me?" She yells in my ear and I wince at the pain.

"Ow Kate! What are you doing here?" I grunted trying to push her off me.

"This! CHLOE! THIS IS WHAT I'M HERE FOR!" She waves her phone in my face and I blink to try and adjust to the brightness. Seeing my face on her phone. I jolt up and remove it from her hand. It's me.

Holy shit. It's me.
On the cover of Forbes.
I did it.
I fucking did it.
I made the number one spot.

My face is on the cover with Number One Businessman with man crossed out and Women written underneath it, with a subtitle of 'Women do it better'. I smile at the phone and I feel a tight squeeze from Kate who is still resting on top of me.

"I'm so proud of my bestie" she beams over my shoulder as we both stare at the cover that I've made. This is such a good day, so was yesterday. The little light in this house made it worth it. He made it all worth it. "Matt would be so proud of you too" she whispers leaning her head on mine as we both lay with each other until I can feel her wet hair dampening mine and I shrug her off. Instead, she just rolls over in the bed to my side and lays with me. "You happy?" She asks me sprawled across the bed and her legs on top of mine. She's lying on her back while I'm lying on my stomach face down.

"Yeah. I am" I smile at her and we smile goofily at one another. This takes me back to high school when we would have slumber parties with each other and chill in bed until one of us had to leave. "I just.... I can't believe they picked me" I stare at myself. I never thought I would have made it onto the cover and be placed as the country's number one businesswoman. I always wished it would be me one day, so I could dedicate it to my brother. To show my family that I actually do work very hard to get things done in the Jennings's name and to build the brand even more as their representative.

But, me. Of all the people and business moguls in this country. Me, Chloe Jennings's to be number fucking one on the list. Not top five, which is what I usually get, but number one. This all doesn't seem real anymore.