Chapter 4

It had been two long weeks since Erik attended the information night at Panorama Elementary and experienced what was undoubtedly one of his least impressive attempts at pursuing a woman. In the past fourteen days, not only did Erik struggle to erase the likes of Miss Rosaline Covault from his mind but she wasn't making things easier as she chose not to contact him during that time. Lately, Erik had been feeling like a love sick teenager, awaiting Rosaline's texts or calls and so when she didn't text or call, Erik had no option but to dwell over the possibilities that could potentially explain why she didn't want him to sit in on one of her classroom lessons. Erik was beginning to think that perhaps the true reason for her avoidance stemmed further than simply the fact that it would mean seeing him again. All of these thoughts swirled around in Erik's mind as Mr Arnold drove him towards Panorama Elementary for the first time since that eventful evening.

"Harold, I might be a few more hours than usual today, given the fact that I'll be participating in the walk-a-thon."

"Not a problem, sir."

"Feel free to have some lunch with the wife or anything to that extent, I'll call you when you're needed.

"Very well, sir."

Stepping out of her car with a small black carry bag in hand, Erik takes a rather deep sigh before walking towards the administration building. The email that Erik had received days earlier instructed him to bring a change of athletic attire and to meet Mr Brighton at the front of the school, where further instructions on the day ahead would be provided and explained. Pulling the handle of the door open, Erik is immediately engulfed by an air conditioned breeze.

"Good morning sir, what may I help with you today." Asks a middle aged woman who sits behind a clear glass panel.

"Good morning, I'm Erik Silverstein and I was told to meet Mr Brighton here at 9am sharp."

"Please take a seat Mr Silverstein, I'll inform Mr Brighton of your presence." Smiles the woman before dialling a number on the office phone.

Erik returns the woman's smile before easing himself into a nearby sofa, allowing himself the opportunity to scan his surroundings. Framed around the walls of the entrance room are photographs of teachers and students, past and present and what appears to be other schooling memorabilia including academic, sporting and creative arts achievements. As luck would have it, Erik miraculously spotted a tiny picture of a smiling Rosaline standing amongst her peers in one of the many photographs hanging on the wall. Standing to catch a closer glimpse at the image, Mr Brighton's cheerful voice suddenly broke through the silence.

"Mr Silverstein, it's wonderful to see you again. Thank you for choosing to participate in today's walk-a-thon. The students are very excited, as you can imagine."

"It's great to be back, thank you for having me. I'm just as happy to be here and to be participating in today's event. When do we get started?"

"Right away, if you'll follow me I'll show you to a locker room where you're welcome to get changed and then I'll take you up to the field where teachers and students are currently making their way toward."

Offering a single nod in understanding, Erik follows Dallas as he leads him past a  series of buildings, until finally he enters a larger industrial type shed and ushers Erik over to a neighbouring change room located just inside.

"Feel free to get changed here and to leave your belongings behind. I'll lock the doors to the change rooms once you've finished so that no one else will be able to enter. Your valuables will be safe here."

"Thank you, I won't be too long."

After changing into a pair of loose black training shorts and a flaming red polo, Erik quickly ties the laces on his Nike's, grabs his cap and sunglasses out of the side pocket of his bag and exits the change room to see Mr Brighton patiently waiting for him, already dressed in his own athletic gear.