Chapter 17

Erik reluctantly pulls away from Rosaline, after experiencing what he knows was undoubtedly the best chaste kiss of his life. Obviously, that was quite a huge proclamation for Erik to make, but deep down he knew he never wanted to experience a kiss like that again, unless it was with Rosaline. Opening his eyes, he sees that Rosaline has developed a deep blush on her cheeks and is keeping her gaze as far from Erik as possible. Fortunately, he doesn't sense she isn't looking at him due to regret, but rather because she suddenly seems shy or surprised by her own actions in sealing the kiss between them. Keen to make her feel comfortable again, Erik takes her pale hand in his and places it on his thigh.

"Are you okay?" Erik calmly asks.

Rosaline doesn't answer his question in words, but instead briefly nods her head in acknowledgment. If he was being completely honest with himself, Erik wasn't prepared for what would happened if Rosaline wasn't forthcoming about her feeling toward him now that they had shared a kiss. He wasn't sure what to ask her, or how to behave around her now. He didn't want to make a mistake that could cost him a potential future with Rosaline, but at the same time, the longer they both sat in silence the more pressure was being put on them to respond to the current situation.

"I apologise if I overstepped." Erik begins, before Rosaline cuts him off with a worried expression.

"Not at all."

"In fact, I liked it." Rosaline quietly admits.

"Then, correct me if I'm wrong, but I sort of got the impression that you weren't as interested in the kiss as I was?" Erik retorts.

"No, it's not that. I was as equally interested." Rosaline claims.

"But?"

"But, it's hard for me to explain it. Just know that it's not you, it's me." She sadly responds.

Whilst staring at her side profile, Erik suddenly comes to the realisation that Rosaline might in fact be dealing with some of her own demons. Given by her youthfulness, innocence and bright spirit, he can hardly guess as to how or why she might be affected by some deep and unsettling personal issues. Also, he didn't even want to begin to consider what she was doing to resolve said issues, if she was even attempting to do so in the initial instance. With these troubled thoughts in mind, Erik attempts to convince her that she should never feel alone and if anything, she is more than welcome to confide in him.

"I hope you know Rosaline that if you're ever dealing with something that might seem too hard for you to handle alone that I'm here for you."

"And I appreciate that Erik I do, but just as you told me over the phone on Monday night, one day in the future and in my own time, I'll tell you about what has been troubling me, but for now it's not important enough to share."

Erik's not entirely convinced by Rosaline's words nor her expresssiom that follows, but for the sake of not wanting to ruin their date, he bites his tongue and offers her a warm smile and understanding look. Erik doesn't believe he'll ever be able to not want to help Rosaline, especially now that he knows for certain she is dealing with her own worries, but just as Erik pointed out himself, if he wasn't prepared to share his entire life with Rosaline yet then he couldn't expect the same from her.

"How would you feel about a walk and some gelato?" Erik offers, in the hopes of alleviating the heavy mood between them.

"That sounds like a wonderful idea." Rosaline genuinely accepts.

Just before leaving the grounds of the art gallery, Erik asks Rosaline to follow closely behind him when driving, as he knows of a great little spot close by to where they currently are where they can purchase some gelato and enjoy a light walk. She easily obliges and within a quarter of a hour, both Erik and Rosaline find themselves staring at a wide variety of delectable frozen desserts behind a glass counter.