Chapter 14

Erik had just dialled Rosaline's mobile number and was now patiently waiting for her to accept his call. After hearing the rings chime in through his phone he assumed that she hadn't picked up her phone in time. Feeling slightly panicked by this realisation, Erik redialed her number almost immediately and was relieved to hear her quiet voice on the other line.

"Hi."

"Rosaline, I hope I'm not calling you too late?"

"No, it's still early for me. Just finishing up some work for tomorrow."

"Well in that case, would you mind sparing me a few minutes please. I'd really like to talk to you." Erik pleaded.

"What about?" Rosaline countered.

Despite the interest shown by her question, Erik could tell that Rosaline wasn't exactly thrilled to hear from him. He was quietly confident it had everything to do with not speaking to her since their date last Friday. He should have known better than to leave her with a promise to speak to her soon, when in reality they hadn't spoken, nor texted since a little over a few days ago. Erik knew he had some explaining to do, he only hoped that Rosaline would be prepared to hear him out.

"Actually, I wanted to begin by apologising."

"It seems you do that a lot where I'm concerned." She was quick to point out.

"I know and I'm sorry for constantly having to explain myself. But the truth is, sometimes I find myself in predicaments that I can't avoid and a result they appear to jeopardise the people I care most about."

Rosaline remained quiet for a moment, thinking over what Erik had just admitted to. It warmed her heart to know that Erik regarded her so highly, especially when she was still unnerved about her own feelings toward him. This was mainly as a result of her anxiousness and the uncertainties that were present in his full on lifestyle.

"I'm sorry for that too." She empathetically confessed.

"It's life I suppose, but it doesn't mean I won't apologise when I know I've wronged someone. I promised you on Friday that we would speak soon after and unfortunately I broke my promise and left you waiting a little longer than I anticipated."

"It's alright Erik, I understand."

"That's the thing though, you actually don't understand the full extent as to why I didn't call you the next day as I fully intended on doing, but hopefully one day when the time is right I'll be able to explain it all to you." He compromised.

"I hope so too." Rosaline agreed in somber, yet hopeful voice.

Erik paused for a minute, wondering if he should just tell Rosaline now what it was he was currently dealing with. He didn't like hearing the sadness behind her voice, nor did he enjoy the sense that now she was probably feeling less than trusted or safe in his presence. He didn't want to start their relationship, if you could even call it that just yet, with secrets kept between them. If anyone should know what that feels like, it should be him, given that Bianca only just confessed to being pregnant with his child years ago. He didn't want to hide anything from Rosaline, but at this stage he also thought it was still too fresh in his own mind to share it with anyone else. Perhaps, later down the track when he and Rosaline built up a strong bond in their relationship he would be willing to tell her everything and answer any questions she might have. But for now, regardless of how upset she might have seemed by the not knowing, Erik was going to protect her in the only way he knew how, by not telling Rosaline a word about Bianca or her once pregnancy.

"I'm sorry it has to be this way." Erik conceded after a while.

"Whatever it is you're not telling me I don't mind, so long as as you don't lie about it then I can wait until you're ready to tell me."

Erik was surprised by Rosaline's words, yet filled with relief at the fact that she was so understanding about the situation. He would never intentionally lie to her but in the same respects, would not tell her more than she needed to know, if it meant she would be protected for the time being. It was a difficult situation and what made it even more challenging was that Erik was still coming to terms with  it himself.

"You're wonderful you know that?" Erik told her.

"I'm just doing what anyone else in my position would do." She humbly replied.

"That's not true, most women would be breaking down my doors just to hear some answers. I know you would never do that."

"I guess I'm not like most women then."

"You're certainly not Rosaline and for that I'm glad.

Despite the silence between them, Erik could picture her with the cutest smile and the faintest tinge of pink on her cheeks. Although it didn't take much for Rosaline to shyly smile or blush, it pleased Erik to know that it was he who could get her to react in this way. Paired with the fact that she was indeed unlike many of the women Erik was typically accustomed to, he felt at times as lucky as someone who had struck gold.

"I better leave you then, I've already kept you up long enough and it's getting late."

"I don't mind, but I appreciate you calling."

"Had I known it meant that much, I would have called you into the early hours of the morning on Saturday." Erik said, earning himself a light laugh from Rosaline.

"It's okay now." She replied and he could hear the honesty behind her voice.

"Will I be able to see you sometime this weekend?"

"I hope so."

"It's a date then, our second date." Erik confirmed, with a hint of pride.

"Keeping score now are we?"

"Something like that." He innocently chuckled.

"I'll see you soon then, sleep well beautiful." Erik spoke after a moment.

"I will, goodnight Erik."

"Goodnight Rosaline." Erik said through his phone, secretly hoping that this conversation made Rosaline smile as much as it made him.