Chapter 26

Having confessed their true love for each another, Erik and Rosaline continue to kiss and paw at each other whilst sitting lengthways on one of the pool lounges. Erik can barely contain his heated desire towards Rosaline, which is why he is hardly surprised when he finds himself licking a bold, hot stripe across the hollow of her neck. However, for a brief moment he considers that he might have acted to forward when he hears the rumble of Rosaline's aroused voice.

"Erik, darling. We need to stop." She reluctantly admits, while fingering the locks of his dark hair between her fingers.

"I'm not sure I can." Erik heaves, feeling somewhat like a possessed man.

Fortunately for both of them, Rosaline's strong sense of will is what eventually causes them to separate, despite the firm grasp that exists within their interlinked hands. Walking back inside Erik's parents house, he wonders for a moment if everyone will be able to notice the obvious marks of arousal tainted across his face. No doubt, Erik's lips and cheeks display a mixture of red and pink bruised skin. He turns his head to face Rosaline and takes note of how her once pale skin now is also filled with warm colour. Although the sight pleases him to no extent, Erik also knows that he wouldn't want her feeling further embarrassed walking back into the dining room knowing she still looks considerably flushed and plainly turned on.

"Sweetheart, why don't you go freshen up for a minute and meet us back inside the dining room." Erik suggests, whilst leading them both towards the nearest bathroom.

"Okay then." Rosaline accepts, before boldly pressing her lips against Erik's for a final toe curling kiss.

"Woman, you make me crazy." Erik practically growls out.

"Crazy in love I hope." Rosaline seductively quips, followed by a cheeky wink.

Erik's eyes sizzle at the thought of continuing their passionate exchange behind the bathroom door, but before he can allow the idea to manifest he finds himself staring at the closed wooden door in front him. Shocked to see that Rosaline had in fact closed the door on him, Erik's lips curve up into a smirk as he loosely turns and walks away in search of his family. Stepping back inside the dining room, Erik can't help the smile that illuminates his bright and carefree complexion.

"You look considerably happier dear." His mother points out with a proud smile.

"I definitely am." Erik confirms while reclaiming his seat, feeling content despite having everyone else's eyes settle upon him.

"Are we correct to assume it has everything to do with that beautiful, young woman?" His father questions with a knowing look. 

"She told me she loves me dad and has for quite some time apparently." Erik admits with a disbelieving look, still reeling at the idea that someone could learn to love him, in spite of his colourful past and undetermined future.

"What's not to love man?" His brother in law, Oliver jokingly adds causing an eruption of laughter to filter in around the table.

Rosaline chooses that moment to enter the room and blushes when she sees Erik's head thrown back in clear amusement.

"What did I miss?" She whispers to Erik, while accepting his comforting grip around her shoulders in an obvious display of affection.

"Nothing sweetheart, Oliver here just still thinks he's funny." Erik humourlessly accuses, causing another round of chuckles to float around the room.

"Rosaline, how would you like to take a look at some family photo albums?" Erik's mother excitedly suggests a short time later. 

"I would love to." Rosaline agrees at the same time Erik releases an obvious sound of disapproval.

"Mum, save the trip down memory lane for another time. Don't bore Rose with pictures of me as a baby." Erik lamely says.

"Actually, I'll have you know I'm very interested to see pictures of you as a baby, a young kid and even as a brooding teenager." Rosaline jokes, awaiting Erik's reaction to her sarcastic comment.

"I'll show you brooding." Erik asserts, while slowing allowing his fingers to go in search of Rose's rib cage, with the intent of tickling her.

Sensing his devious intentions, Rosaline quickly rises from her seat beside Erik and follows Nancy as she exits the dining room.

Curious to see what photos his mother has prepared to show Rosaline, Erik and the rest of his family find themselves following their lead a short while later. Entering in through the living room, Erik feels a sense of pride when he sees his mother and girlfriend casually chatting and gazing at pictures inside one of the many photo albums that are currently laid out on the table. Taking a seat on the couch, he continues to watch the interaction between two of the most important women in his life.

"I didn't know you liked to sail?" He hears Rosaline ask him over her shoulder.

In her hands, Erik can see she has claimed a photograph of an adolescent Erik aboard a yacht with his family. In the photo, Erik stands beside his father and wears a sailors hat, looking very pleased with himself and his ability to steer the boat.

"I haven't seen that picture in years." Erik reminisces, whilst ushering Rosaline to come sit beside him on the couch.

Once seated next to him, Erik accepts the photograph from Rosaline's nimble fingers and smiles at the memory that the image evokes.

"My family would sail out at least once every weekend during the summer. It was like a family tradition of ours, one we all enjoyed." Erik recalls with a longing look.

"You look so happy." Rosaline whispers beside him.

"I was, and I still am. Now more than ever." He truthfully tells her, before placing a delicate kiss against her temple.

For the next hour or so, the entire Silverstein family continue to indulge Rosaline with family photographs, special memories and unforgettable stories. Rosaline laughs, smiles and even cries at all the right moments. She is the perfect addition to his family, Erik thinks to himself and hopes to one day make that a permanent fixture. Erik is partly surprised at the direction of his own premature thoughts, but at the same time, wouldn't want to even try to imagine a life without Rosaline ever again. Sensing that someone is nudging him from behind, Erik shifts his head and notices that his sister Lucy is holding two plates with chocolate cake. He eagerly accepts them and hands one of the two plates to Rose. She smiles at the site of the dessert and thanks Erik's mother for the cake, as she wonders back into the living room and sits beside her husband.

The rest of the night unfolds in a joyous and comfortable spirit. What had started out as a nerve wrecking and anxious expedition for Rosaline in particular had turned out to be one of the most fulfilling nights of her life. Not only had Erik and Rosaline both admitted their love for each other but Rose had also been able to meet and get to know each of Erik's family members on a more personal level. What's more, was that Erik was both relieved and overjoyed by the fact that his family and Rosaline seemed to have taken a genuine likeness towards each other. Erik always had a lingering feeling that his parents would see Rose for the gorgeous, intelligent and caring young women she was, but he supposed now that he heard the truth with his own ears, he really didn't have any fears left inside of him to face.

"Rosaline, did you want to hold Isabella?" Erik hears the smile behind his sisters question, as she looks to Rose for confirmation.

Offering Lucy a polite nod, Erik regards Rosaline as she settles further into the couch and accepts baby Isabella into her arms. With a nervous smile, she stares lovingly at the beautiful baby girl in her hold and releases a small giggle every time Isabella makes a playful noise or movement. It's in that exact moment seeing Rose and how she responds to baby Isabella that Erik accepts that his love for Rosaline is incomparable and eternal. Overcome with his need to tell her this, he finds himself leaning in close towards Rosaline and whispering in her ear.

"You've never looked more beautiful Rose, I love you sweetheart."