Chapter 31

To say that Erik was taken aback by Nickolas's startling interrogation, would be a gross understatement. In no way was Erik expecting to be sat down by Rosaline's brothers and be given the third degree. He had only just entered their family home and already felt at a loss since her parents and brothers evidently had their suspicions about him. Although Erik had prepared to be scrutinised in such a way, he didn't think it would haven't taken such a fierce and grave tone. Swallowing his doubts away, Erik lifted his chin in conviction and began to speak from his heart.

"I can understand why your family has questions about me and I would be happy to answer them if you believe they would help you in trying to work out why it is that I chose to pursue Rosaline, but I suppose what it comes down to is the real, raw and passionate connection that she and I share with one another. I won't lie to either of you and tell you that Rosaline is the first woman to make my head turn, but she has in fact been the first woman to capture my heart and soul. I know that she's young and probably too young to be dating someone like me, according to your standards but she is mature in ways I can't even begin to explain. Not to mention how generous, caring, sweet and intelligent she is. I'm sorry if I haven't been successful in convincing you of how much I respect and care for your sister, but the underlying truth is that I am completely and utterly in love with Rosaline."

As he was speaking, Erik was sure to maintain focus with Nickolas and William. He wanted them both to hear and feel the sincerity behind his words and through his voice. Erik couldn't recall a time where he felt so vulnerable in expressing his feelings, but he also knew that if he wanted to stand a chance with her family he would have to open up to them immediately. He didn't want them thinking that he had anything to hide or to be ashamed of, especially in regards to Rosaline. He had just finished talking when Rosaline suddenly appeared by his side and taken a seat at the dining table beside him. She must have been oblivious to what had just been discussed between Erik and her brothers because she didn't hesitate in casually draping her arm around Erik's shoulder, in a subtle display of affection.

"What are we talking about?" She nonchalantly asked, whilst shifting her gaze between her brothers and Erik.

"Erik was just telling us how much he adores you." William earnestly replied.

Erik caught Rosaline's blush, before she slightly ducked her head behind his shoulder. She let out a soft chuckle and offered him an appreciative smile, as she attempted to explain to her brothers just how often Erik spoke very highly of her.

"I know how much Erik adores me, in fact he tells me almost everyday. It's a good thing too because I feel the exact same way about him." Rosaline carefully admitted.

Erik was pleasantly astounded to hear Rosaline confess how she felt about him in front of her brothers. It seemed only a short while ago that she was anxious of being seen with Erik and kissing him, when here she was openly telling her family about how invested she was in Erik. She hadn't said that she was in love with him, but with the way she was gazing at him, touching him and speaking about their relationship, Erik knew that Rosaline was trying really hard to show him how much she felt for him. Erik was truly touched by her words and actions and made a mental note to remind himself later on to thank Rosaline for being such a beautiful person, both inside and out.

"I can't deny the fact that I am more than a little shocked by this confession Rosie." Nickolas interjected with an unimpressed wave of his hand.

"Why is that?" Rosaline quietly asked him, while leaning closer towards Erik.

"For a number of reasons actually but for the moment all I want to know is why you felt the need the hide him from your family for so long? Is there something you're not telling us? Is he not allowing you to see and talk to us?" Nickolas demanded with furrowed eyebrows.

It took nearly all of Erik's self control to allow Rosaline to speak up for herself. He didn't like how Nickolas was speaking to her nor did he like the idea of Nickolas assuming that Erik was the prime reason for why Rosaline hadn't introduced him to her family months prior. All Erik could do given the current situation was support Rosaline as best he could, without wanting to leap across the table and strangle her brother for accusing him of something so preposterous it made his head spin.

"God no, how could you even ask me something like that?" Rosaline retaliated in disgust.

"It just seems so out of character for you Rosie. You've never hidden anything from us in the past, I can't help but think you've been negatively influenced or manipulated by an older, stronger male." Nickolas argued, while motioning over to Erik.

Erik's eyes grew wide at Nickolas's comment as he felt his palms begin to twitch. What had initially started as a general conversation has quickly escalated into something catastrophic. Erik was appalled by the direct judgment and hatred he was receiving, but even still, he maintained his cool demeanour for the sake of Rosaline and in not wanting to make matters worse.

"I can't believe this is happening right now? Have you completely lost your mind Nickolas!" Rosaline cried through the stream of tears that were currently leaking from her eyes.

Erik attempted to ease her distress by rubbing her back in gentle, slow circles when suddenly Rosaline scraped her chair against the floor and pointed at her eldest brother as she distraughtly shouted at him.

"Have you ever considered the fact that I didn't want to introduce Erik to anyone in the first place because I was afraid that this would happen? Look at what's happening here, you're accusing him of not being good enough for me when really it's your prejudice that has got in the way of understanding why it is Erik and I are actually perfect for each other. You should be ashamed of yourself Nickolas, I thought you were better than this." Rosaline weakly finished, while hastily wiping her tears away.

Erik didn't waste another second before pulling Rosaline into his side and guiding her back out the doorway they entered in through not long ago. Erik drowned out all noises except for the one where he heard Rosaline weeping like a poor child. His heart ached at the sight of her crying over him, as he still couldn't quite believe how it was that a woman like Rosaline loved him so immensely. Once they were outside, he carefully escorted her towards the Audi and buckled her in the passenger seat. Before turning on the ignition however to drive away, he turned towards her, grasped her hands in his larger ones and placed a loving kiss against either pulse point on her wrists.

"I love you so much sweetheart, you were so brave back there and I'm sorry that the dinner didn't go as we hoped it would. I'll never leave your side Rosaline, I promise you that."