Chapter 24

As Erik drives towards his parents home, he ensures the hand that isn't holding onto the steering wheel is enclasped around Rosaline's delicate fingers. He can feel her warmth beneath his palm and every time he sneaks a peak over at her sitting in the passenger seat, his heart can't help but flutter at the sensation of sensing her nervousness. After the confronting discussion he and Rosaline had engaged in prior to leaving his house, Erik couldn't be more grateful for having Rosaline put her fears aside for the afternoon. He had a strong feeling that once Rosaline met his parents, sister and her family however, that her doubts would dwindle into a pit of nothingness. In an attempt to pull Rosaline away from her cynical thoughts, he squeezed her hand just as he drove into the driveway of his parents property.

"We've arrived sweetheart." Erik announces, whist parking the car.

Once he's switched off the ignition, Erik turns in his seat and faces Rosaline head on. Although he notices the look of apprehension in her eyes, he also observes a certain look of determination. Without thinking about it, he leans over the console so he's close enough to give her a chaste kiss. Rosaline blushes when he pulls away and offers him a shy smile in return.

"They're going to adore you, trust me." Erik reassures her one final time, before opening the drivers door, stepping outside and coming around Rosaline's side to open up the door for her.

With their fingers tightly linked between each other's, Erik and Rosaline walk towards the front door, hearts anxiously thumping beneath each of their chests. With a single press against the doorbell, neither have to wait long before the door opens and out steps an elegantly aged woman who Rosaline only assumes to be Erik's mother.

"Mum." Erik proudly acknowledges, while detaching himself from Rosaline's side and moving forward to wrap his strong arms around his mother.

After he's pressed a loving kiss against her cheek, he moves to one side so his mother has a perfect view of Rosaline.

"Mum, I want to introduce you to someone very special to me. This is Rosaline Covault, my girlfriend." He winks at Rose when mentioning the last part.

Hesitantly taking a step forward, Rosaline uses all her inner strength to outstretch her hand and smile politely at the woman standing before her.

"Mrs Silverstein, it's a pleasure to meet you." She kindly remarks, just as she is softly pulled into the awaiting arms of Erik's mother.

"Rosaline, I've heard so much about you dear. It's wonderful to finally meet you. Please, call me Nancy." She insists with a sincere voice.

Nancy welcomes them both inside the house and makes small talk with them whilst Erik reclaims his position beside Rosaline. As they make their way through the house, Rosaline becomes wary of the joyous chatter that she can hear towards the end of the long foyer. Fortunately, the hand that Erik has gently pressed against her lower back is making her feel a whole lot safer and relaxed. Soon enough, Erik and Rosaline enter in through the living room and are greeted with warm words and kind smiles.

"And who might this beautiful young lady be?" Erik's father comments whilst smiling over at Rosaline.

"Dad, this is my girlfriend Rosaline Covault. Rose, this is my father Elijah Silverstein." Erik introduces them with a look of pride washing over his face.

Rosaline steps towards Elijah, before extending her hand over in greeting.

"I've heard so much about you sir, it's an honour to finally meet you." Rosaline praises.

"You're much too kind dear, please call me Elijah." He tells her with a bashful smile.

After exchanging a few more pleasantries with Erik's sister Lucy, her husband Oliver and their gorgeous baby girl Isabella, Rosaline takes a brief moment alone to regulate her breathing when she sees no one is watching her. She's happy to have made it through the introductions and smiles mostly to herself when she realises how silly she must have appeared in front of Erik earlier during the day when she almost decided on not going.

"You alright sweetheart?" She hears Erik's whispered question from beside her.

"Couldn't be better." She easily responds.

The answer seems to please Erik because she doesn't have to wait long before he's pressing in close against her side and kissing her cheek in an obvious display of affection. Lightly giggling to themselves, Erik wraps his arm around Rosaline's middle and pulls her toward his strong body. Not only does their warm-hearted embrace make Rose feel an added sense of comfort but it doesn't seem to go unnoticed by Erik's family members who offer them both genuine and warm smiles.

"Shall we head into the dining room for lunch?" His mother happily proposes moments later.

"I think that's a great idea mum. Can't wait to see what you've cooked up for us this time." Erik tells her, while leading Rosaline into a different room.

Taking his seat beside Rosaline at the dining table, Erik can't contain the look of happiness that is clearly plastered across his face. Years ago, he never would have imagined seeing the woman of his dreams, sitting and having lunch with his parents. Erik always assumed that he was never the kind of man who would be cut out to share his life with only one woman for the rest of eternity, particularly with the scars that continued to haunt him from his previous relationship, but for reasons he still couldn't explain, he was utterly and completely grateful for having Rosaline come into his world and for making him the happiest he's been in years.

"Erik dear, is everything fine? Are you not enjoying the salad?" His mothers voice suddenly interrupts his line of thinking.

"No, the salad is perfect as it's always been mum, thank you." He assures her with a light smile.

"I was just thinking about how lucky I am to have all of you in my life and had it not been for this stunning woman sitting beside me, I think my future would have taken a very different turn." He adds, before choosing to take a brave leap of faith in front of his entire family and confess to something he's been meaning to tell everyone, especially Rose.

"I guess what I'm trying to say is, Rosaline I'm in love with you!"