Chapter 41

By the time Rosaline arrived back home and left behind the humble abode of Erik's house, she experienced a sense of regret and fear. Leaving Erik was just about the last thing she wanted to do, but also one of the few things she needed to do if there was any chance of reconciliation between her family, Erik and herself. Knocking on the front door of her parents home, she was also scared that they wouldn't welcome her inside nor listen to what she had come to tell them. For the sake of her relationship with Erik and their future, she harshly swallowed the rest of her anxieties and awaited for someone to answer the door. Finally, the door swung open and revealed the face of Rosaline's conspicuous mother.

"Rosaline? I must say I'm surprised to see you but please, come inside." Spoke her mother, with a gesturing wave of her hand.

With a simple nod of her head, Rosaline followed her mother inside and greeted her father who sat on the sofa in the living room. With a terse atmosphere that seemed to settle in around them, Rosaline quickly attempted to diminish it by offering up some good news.

"You know how I haven't skied since I was sixteen?" She began in a hopeful voice.

"Yes, what of it?" Her mother countered.

"Well, this past weekend I skied again, down an icy slope. In fact, it was almost as if no time had passed at all since my accident, I didn't forget how to ski. It felt amazing." She proudly beamed.

"That's wonderful news Rosie. I assume someone was present with you when you skied down this slope?" He father questioned, in an intrigued tone.

"Yes." Rosaline monosyllabically answered.

"Do tell us who it was, so we know who to thank for encouraging you." Explained her mother.

"You won't like the answer I have to tell you." Retaliated Rosaline.

"Try us." Proposed her father, with a coaxing smile.

"Erik." She quietly whispered.

The moments that followed, after Rosaline had spoken Erik's name, could only be described as silent and strained. For a second, Rosaline contemplated whether or not the verbal onslaught she imagined she would have received from her parents was better than the silent treatment she was currently experiencing. Neither her mother or father were conveying any palpable emotions, which naturally only made Rosaline fret more.

"As in Erik Silverstein, you know my boyfriend who you met just last week?" Rosaline nervously clarified.

"We know who you're referring to Rosie." Nodded her mother in understanding.

"Of course, sorry." Rosaline stupidly shook her head, as if in deep thought.

"Despite what you may think, I am proud of you for overcoming your fear of skiing and I'm glad Erik was there to support you through it." Spoke Rosaline's father.

"He was motivating me the entire time dad, he never let me give up even when I wasn't sure myself. I wouldn't have been able to do it without him." Rosaline truthfully admitted.

"Well in that case, I'd like the opportunity to thank him myself in person for looking after you and helping you along the way." Asserted her father.

Rosaline wasn't anticipating a response quite like the one she heard, which is why she suddenly felt the need to question her parents motive. Were they genuinely pleased to hear that Erik had uplifted their daughter during a personal struggle, or were they perhaps just telling her what she wanted to hear so she would feel inclined to bury the past without so much as a shoulder glance behind her. 

"Why?" She interrogated.

"Pardon?" Her mother answered.

"Why are you both acting as if last week didn't even happen? As if no one remembers that I left from here in tears because of the simple fact that my family can't stand it that I have fallen in love with a man who is questionably older than I am. Why is that even relevant when I am the happiest I have ever been?" Rosaline asked in an emotional voice.

Judging from the numb expressions plastered across her parents faces, Rosaline wasn't sure what she would hear from them next. Internally, she hoped that they would be willing to overlook their difference in age and merely grant Erik the chance to spend some more time with them, only to be able to appreciate the incredible man that he truly is.

"Rosie, your mother and I must admit that we were more than a little startled when you introduced Erik to our family. Given his age, there is no denying that Erik is far more experienced than you in all realms of life, and as your parents that is a hard reality for us to want to accept." Rosaline's father calmly argued.

"Although I cannot speak on behalf of your brothers entirely, I understand the reasons for their outburst. Like your mother and I, they merely acted out of love for you and will go to extreme lengths to protect your innocence. You have to try and understand where we are coming from Rosie, everything we do is only because we want the best for you and at first glance, Erik didn't convince us of that." Her father straightforwardly added.

"But why? He didn't do or say anything to give you that impression so why are you so reluctant to give him a chance? I love him." Rosaline cries.

"Rosie, your father is right in saying that everything we do is because we love you, but I can also understand that perhaps we may have all been a little too quick to judge Erik." Rosaline's mother softly confesses sometime later.

"Just give him the opportunity to prove to you both that he is worthy of my love. He didn't deserve what happened to him last week and neither did I." She sadly voices.

After sitting in silence for an extended period of time, Rosaline wonders if she has perhaps pushed her parents too far. No matter how hard she tries to remain calm and amicable in difficult situations, she almost always finds herself worrying with doubts and crying by the end of it. She simply can't stand the thought of pursuing a relationship with someone her parents don't approve of, almost as much as she detests the idea of not sharing a future with Erik.

"What if we had Erik over at our house again and spent some time getting to know him?" Her father considerately suggested a short while later.

"What did you have in mind exactly?" Rosaline probed.

"Well, your birthday is in about two weeks time, what if we organised a small party with family and friends at the house, that way Erik wouldn't feel pressured by all of us and instead would be made to feel comfortable in a casual and carefree environment?" Recommends Rosaline's mother.

Rosaline ponders her mothers idea for a short time, before readily agreeing. Just as she was about to voice her interests in the thought, her mother's intruding voice stops her from doing so.

"And before you ask, your father and I will speak with Nickolas and William beforehand to ensure they don't bombard Erik with direct questions like last time. Just as a precaution for both Erik's and your happiness." She adds in a compassionate tone.

Before Rosaline can even provide an answer to her parents suggestion, she finds herself leaping out of her chair and embracing her mother in a warm hug. She offers thanks over and over again and rains kisses against her mother's cheek, before crossing over and doing the same with her father. With tears of joy streaming down her cheeks and a bright smile planted on her youthful face, Rosaline for once feels confident about her and Erik's future.

"Thank you again, you won't regret this decision." Rosaline promises, with a final hug given to each of her parents.