Chapter 42

Erik was not pleased when he learnt that Rosaline would not be returning to his home until later on in the week. The last thing he wanted was to be separated from her for an extended period of time, and in Erik's mind, having to wait four days was not only too long of a time to wait but also with each day that passed where Erik didn't see Rosaline, his fears about their relationship crept back in. After their romantic snow retreat, Erik was positive that his relationship with Rosaline had exponentially grown into something serious and long lasting, but having only shared brief and short exchanges over the phone with her over the past few days, Erik was desperately anxious to find out some answers. At last, Friday evening had arrived. Erik had already prepared dinner ahead of time and was now pacing his entrance corridor, waiting to spot the headlights on Rosaline's car from the window. Upon seeing a flicker of light enter in through the seal of the curtain, Erik unlocked his front door and practically ran out so he could embrace Rosaline in his arms. She mustn't have been expecting such an affectionate welcome, because Rosaline immediately found herself questioning Erik's motives.

"What has gotten into you?" Erik heard Rosaline wheeze out, remembering that he was still squeezing her small frame against his dominant one.

"Isn't it obvious? I missed you. Have you not missed me?" Erik self-consciously asked in return.

"Of course I have! I guess I was just surprised to see you running down your driveway to greet me." She warmly chuckled, whilst wrapping her arms affectionately around Erik's neck.

"Sweetheart, you should know by now that I would walk over fire for you if it meant seeing your beautiful face." Erik easily replied, as he tightened his grip around Rosaline's narrow waist.

"I know you would do anything for me." She sincerely whispered, before offering Erik a delicate peck against both of his stubble covered cheeks.

"But in spite of everything and anything you could give me, by far the greatest gift is your love Erik." Rosaline tenderly added, while reclaiming their lips in a passionate kiss.

In an effort to demonstrate how much her words had affected him, Erik gracefully lifted Rosaline into his awaiting arms and nuzzled her neck as she began to giggle like the youthful woman she was. He carried her inside and gently released her body into one of the dining room chairs, where they would soon indulge in a home cooked meal. After engaging in casual conversation during their dinner, Erik knew he would inevitably have to bring up the meeting between Rosaline and her parents. Although Erik was itching to know how it went, he also didn't want to disrupt their pleasant evening nor their ease and comfort around one another. Having resided to the lounge room, Erik couldn't wait any longer and instead found himself interrogating sweet Rosaline.

"I've been meaning to ask you how the chat between your parents went?" He calmly asked, with a look of seriousness etched across his face.

"It went better than expected actually." Rosaline lightly smiled.

"I think my parents may have finally come to the realisation that it was wrong of them to judge you so harshly and so as a way of attempting to make it up to you, they have invited you to spend some quality time with them during my birthday party. They have begun organising a small celebration between close family and friends that will take place in a little under two weeks time." She nonchalantly explains.

"Rose, that's great news. There's just one problem." Erik countered.

"What is it?" Rosaline replied in a puzzled tone.

"Why am I only finding out now that your birthday is in approximately fourteen days? Did you not think that this is something of considerable importance that I would want to know about?" Erik bravely remarked, despite feeling hurt by this sudden confession.

Erik observed Rosaline closely and the way in which her eyes widened slightly upon realising that she hadn't ever mentioned her birthday. It wasn't done intentionally or with malicious intent, however seeing how Erik's expression morphed itself into one of dejection, Rosaline would understand why Erik would feel somewhat betrayed.

"Erik, I'm sorry. It must have slipped my mind, and besides you spoil me so much already I wouldn't have wanted to mention it on a whim and then leave you with the impression that it was my way of asking you to buy me a gift or something of that equivalence, because that is honestly the last thing that I want to have happen." Rosaline attempted to explain, before she babbled off nervously.

"As your boyfriend Rose, I will always endeavour to show you how much you mean to me, that concept will never change. I just wish you had told me earlier." Erik retaliated, during which he noted the look of regret on Rosaline's angelic face.

"I suppose it just means I now have less than two weeks to plan the perfect birthday surprise for you." Erik told her shortly afterward, hoping that his tone of voice had changed to one that would soften the blow of his precious statement.

Thankfully, it seemed that his idea of preparing a birthday surprise for Rosaline was enough to momentarily distract her from her guilt ridden feelings.

"Erik, are you already forgetting about our trip to Glasslea only days ago? I considered that an early birthday present from you and so should you, so please don't go overboard with any lavish gifts or anything, alright? I already feel so lucky to have you in my life." Rosaline sweetly told him.

"Nice try Rose, but seeing as though I didn't know it was your birthday at the time of our weekend retreat, I won't be counting it as one of your birthday presents." Erik cleverly refuted with a cheeky smile.

"Erik!" Rosaline halfheartedly warned him.

"However, I am willing to compromise." Erik informed her, just as a magical and heartfelt idea entered in through his mind.

"How so?" Rosaline interestingly queried.

"I promise to only hand you one, small yet meaningful gift on your birthday." He cryptically revealed, whilst doing his best to maintain his composure as he sat and wondered how he would go about presenting Rosaline with this one gift.

"Deal." She instantly accepted, before taking a seat on Erik's lap and joining their mouths together for a passionate and longing kiss.