Ch.1

I wrung my hands together in front of me. I wasn't nervous, just annoyed. I didn't understand why we had to wait so long just to get into the building. I was in the line, along with my friends Kelyn and Lacy, who were so nervous they didn't really want to make conversation. I groaned, throwing my head back.

"Why does it takes so fucking long to get anything done in this city?" I looked to my friends.

Lacy rolled her eyes, "Language, Alexa."

I laughed and slapped her on the shoulder, "Yea, whatever."

She nearly fell over and I burst out laughing. She wiped invisible dust from her blue dress and huffed at me. Most Erudite girls were wearing dresses today. I, however, was wearing a blue blouse and a knee length white flowy skirt. My mother had given me a compromise- She wouldn't make me wear heels if I didn't wear pants. I would rather die than step into those things.

Lacy had finally joined in laughing with me, when Kelyn tapped me on the shoulder, and pointed somewhere behind us. I turned to see a Candor boy harassing the Abnegation. I could just barely hear in on their conversation.

"You're a liar. Why are you lying to me?" The boy smirked at them. What an asshole.

I started towards them, but Kelyn grabbed my arm. "Lex, please don't."

I shook him off and continued to the boy. He was still rambling. "Hey. I'm talking to you. Are all you Stiffs deaf or something? Hey!"

He shoved one of them away from him. That's it, dipshhit. I tapped him on the shoulder. He turned to me and smirked. "Hello~ come to see the show hot stuff?"

I smiled sickly sweet. "Yeah, totally."

I kneed him where the sun don't shine, and when he fell to his knees, I punched him on his left cheek. "Next time you wanna fuck with someone who is literally harmless to you, try and make sure I can't see you- dickhead."

I picked him up by the back of his jacket and tossed him away from the Abnegation. His friends hurried over and dragged him away, back into their line.

I turned back to the Abnegation. "Hey, sorry about that. You all okay?"

They nodded their heads but one of them spoke up. "That wasn't necessary. For Abnegation, violence is never the answer."

I laughed and patted him on the back. "Good thing I'm not Abnegation then."

I smiled and waved to them as I headed back over to my line, just narrowly avoiding the Dauntless heading in my direction.

I found Lacy and Kelyn much further up in the line, "Oh thank god- we moved."

Kelyn smirked at me, "You're always up for a fight, aren't you?"

I laughed. "Only when needed. It would be illogical to pick a fight I can't win. But who here is gonna hit a small Erudite girl?"

Kelyn and I shared a small laugh, and I noticed Lacy looking down. She was slightly taller than me, so I could see her facial expression. "Lacy, hey. Are you okay?"

She looked up, and smiled sadly at me. "You're going to be one of them... Aren't you?"

I looked to where she was indicating with her eyes. The Dauntless were behind us and talking loudly amongst each other. I turned back to Lacy and smiled. "Who knows? It's all about what the test tells me. Hell, maybe I have some deep, undiscovered soft side and I'll end up in Amity."

Kelyn snorted. "Yea- slim chance. There is an exact 0.0003% chance of you ever transferring to Amity."

I laughed and Lacy finally cracked a smile. The doors opened in front of us. I wrapped my arm around each of their waists. "No matter what guys, I'll always love you. And I swear to tell my grandkids all about you two idiots. Let's promise to not forget each other, ok?"

They both laughed and simultaneously spoke, "Promise."

We walked in to the building, side by side.