Ch.19

I scoffed.

Tris fell right into our trap. Tris. Turn around. Run... I heard her coming down the hallway to the right of me. I pressed myself against the wall. She whipped out her knife and began cutting him free. I kept watch, but I was also watching him. 

She walked towards him, "Four? Hey, are you alr-"

Just then, he sprang from his chair and disarmed Tris. He shoved her and she crashed into a nearby wall. 

Tris tried snap him out of it, "Four, you're in a sim!"

I stepped out from the shadows. "He can't hear you."

As I walked closer, Jeanine entered the room. Tris glared at us.

Jeanine smirked, examining Four. "It's amazing, isn't it? Everything that makes up a person- thoughts, emotions, history... all wiped away by chemistry."

Tris kept trying, "Four."

Jeanine sighed, "He's gone. We're all safer for it."

Tris scoffed, "Safer? How are we safer?"

Jeanine smirked, "The brilliance of the Faction system is that the conformity of the Faction removes the part of you exercising your independent will. Divergents threaten that system. Don't get me wrong- There is a certain beauty in your resistance. In your defiance of categorization. However, it is a beauty we can't afford."

She nodded at me, and walked away.

Tris immediately took her opportunity, "Four. It's me. Please. It's me. Come back."

I clicked a few buttons on my tablet just as she tried to embrace him.

In one swift motion, she was shoved away from his body. He now had her forced against a wall, his hands around her neck. Her feet dangled from the ground. She fought back.

I watched their fight. He was destroying her. She kept calling to him, trying to break through. However, I knew. I knew he wasn't there anymore. He was just an empty shell. I closed my eyes. I couldn't think straight. I couldn't decide if I felt happy for her pain. I couldn't decide if this was right. I think... I don't know what I think. I realized I was a coward in this moment. I just wanted Eric. I wanted to see Eric so badly. He made me feel strong. 

My head shot up once I heard a gun charging up. I looked to see Tris on the ground, pointing a gun a Four. 

Suddenly, she met my gaze and something flashed across her eyes. She turned back to Four. She took a deep breath, and then turned the gun on herself. Four immediately wrapped his fingers around the trigger. However, he didn't squeeze. I held my breath.

I could stop the sim. I could... I decided that, while I didn't know if I was still loyal to Jeanine- I was loyal to Eric. And he believed in Jeanine. Therefore, I simply watched as Four was preparing to kill Tris. I looked away. 

Suddenly, I heard Four taking in gasps of air.  How did she?... She pulled him out of the sim.

The glazed look from his eyes vanished, and Four came to, "Tris?"  

I looked to my right and saw Jeanine rushing to the monitors. A knife flew across the room and plunged into Jeanine's hand. She was stuck in one place on the screen. I looked back to see Tris, still in her throwing stance.

Panic rushed through me, "Jeanine!" 

I heard  a gunshot before feeling the burn in my thigh. I screamed. I immediately fell to the ground, clutching my leg. Tris raced to the computer system that Jeanine was pinned to. I began to army crawl towards them.

Finally I reached the platform Jeanine and Tris were on. Tris had a knife to Jeanine's throat. She was demanding that she shut it down. 

I yelled, "Tris, stop this! You know what you are is dangerous. Think of our society. Just because you want to play hero- doesn't mean others should suffer for you." 

Tris glared at me, "You really believe her?!! Think of what she's told you about Divergents! How evil they are.... but then you met me. You were my friend! After all of that, do you still think all Divergents are evil?"

Tris stared at me for a moment before inspecting the room. Her eyes lit up as they latched onto something. Everything happened so fast, I almost missed it.

Four tossed Tris a tranquilizer gun, and she filled it with the serum that was currently controlling the Dauntless. She shoved it into Jeanine's neck, and I watched her face go from angry and tense, to calm and neutral. She input the password. 

"No!!" I looked to the screen. All the Dauntless immediately started gasping for air and looking around. Like they had just woken up from a nightmare. I suppose they had.

I watched as the screens all suddenly went dark. The data was gone. Everything Jeanine had put into this- it was gone. It was over.

I slumped to the floor, my body aching. I heard the sound of impact as Jeanine's body fell to the floor. She was also now released from the syrum's effects. She was screaming and crying over the loss of her work. She stood back up and frantically ran around, trying to restart the system. However, it was in vain.

Tris stepped toward Jeanine.

She smirked, "Don't get me wrong. There's a beauty to your resistance."

Jeanine cried out as she charged at Tris with the knife. She immediately was taken down by Tris, who knocked her out cold. 

They both stood there for a moment before loud and strained laughter filled the room. They jumped, startled. It took me a moment to realize that the sound was coming from me.

I regained my composure and gave my famous goofy smirk. "Wow. Nice form."

They both looked over to me. I slid myself up into a sitting position. They came and crouched in front of me. 

Tris gave me a sad smile. "I had a good teacher." 

I gave a dark laugh, "You know what Beatrice Prior? I can't decide if I love you or hate you. If I want you dead or for you to start a rebellion. All I know is that- I can't bring myself to let anything bad happen to you... You lucky little shit." 

She chuckled, "I think you know what you actually feel deep down, but... you also love him. And I can't blame you for what your heart wants... I hope we meet again, Alexa Patrick." 

It was a sweet moment. However, it was short lived, as Four suddenly rushed to a security monitor. He called out to Tris, letting her know they had to go. I looked at the screen. There was a large group of Erudite-Dauntless heading our way. I ignored them all as my eyes settled on one in particular.

I couldn't help the smile that broke out on my face. "Eric..."

They rushed off and I sat there, going in and out of consciousness. I collected my thoughts.

I didn't hate Divergents. Jeanine was wrong. They are beautiful. Tris was beautiful. 

I knew what Tris was. And I didn't hate her for it. I would gladly have dropped everything and ran off to finish the battle by her side.

However, I knew what I had. Eric and I- we may not be special like Tris. We may never be destined for anything greater than being the villains. However, if one thing is solid in my mind- it's this. And it's the only thing that matters.

Tris and the other divergents may be honest, kind, smart, selfless, and brave.

But Eric and I? We are together. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This is the end! But literally after I get done writing this little bit, I'm going to go start on Insurgent!! So yay!!!! Lol. I love everyone who is reading this! (even if you haven't dropped a vote yet- which you should totally do)

Until the next story~
June