Ch.4

Ch.4

I ran over, as soon as I saw Lacy's bright red hair sticking out from the crowd. She could be an Amity, if only for looks. However, once she opened her mouth you'd soon find she fit perfectly in Erudite.

"Kelyn! Lacy!" They stopped and smiled when they saw me.

I leaned over, out of breath. "Oh my god. I missed the last bus. I had to run from Erudite."

Kelyn frowned, "That's actually not like you. If anything, you're always early."

I smiled, "Yeah, I didn't exactly sleep too great last night. Choosing Ceremony jitters, you know?"

Lacy grabbed my hand and began rubbing between my thumb and my pointer finger. I loosened up. "I don't know what the hell you're doing. But whatever it is- don't stop."

She laughed and continued rubbing my hand as we walked. "This is proven to wake you up a bit and help you relax when you're stressed out. I read about it in health ed freshman year."

I grabbed her a placed a slobbery kiss on her cheek. "Bless you and your brain my dear friend."

She groaned as she wiped the spit on her face and shoved me slightly. We all talked and joked as we made our way into the building. We walked in, and soon after I felt eyes burning a hole into my head. I looked around, when suddenly I met with strangely familiar blue eyes. It was a Dauntless, and I wondered why he seemed so familiar. I was snapped from my thoughts as Lacy and Kelyn stopped beside me. They both suddenly hugged me and I was quick to follow. Kelyn pulled away first and spoke, "Well Alexa, it has been an honor to know you. I know you'll do great things in your insane and death defying faction."

He walked away as I laughed and I turned to Lacy. She smiled at me and gave me another soft hug. "Well, Kelyn won't see you for a long while. However, we both know we'll be meeting again quite soon."

I smirked at her and she walked off, to find her parents. I realized I had no idea where mine were either. I scanned over Erudite's section before meeting my father's emerald green eyes. He was a few rows up and sitting next to my mother. He waved for me to come sit. I ran up the stairs and gave each of my parents a hug before sitting down.

My mother looked to me, "Nervous?"

My father laughed, "No, that's MY daughter. She's fearless. She obviously takes after me."

My mother and I rolled our eyes and laughed. Suddenly a voice came out through the speakers. It was Marcus Eaton, leader of Abnegation. My mother and father both groaned slightly at the sight of him. I smiled to myself at their slightly childish behavior and listened to the opening speech.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It seemed like only a few names had passed by before mine was being called. "Alexa Patrick."

I walked down with confidence. I walked up to the bowls. I grabbed the knife, slicing my hand without a second thought. I immediately drew my hand over to the Dauntless coals. As soon as my blood dropped and sizzled, the Dauntless began to shout and applaud. I smiled as I walked over and joined them. I was given a bandage for my hand, and sat for the rest of the names.

~~~~~~~~~

Marcus had just begun his ending speech, but the Dauntless were already running out. I laughed and screamed along with the rest of them. Running was something my body was used to, so it was no problem. I had known for a long time I was going to be Dauntless- despite hiding it as best I could. So, I looked through many books, learned many lessons, and trained every day. I grew to be stronger. To be who I knew I was meant to be.

I climbed up to the train's platform. I felt the air rush past me, everything seemed to become more clear the higher I got. I saw the Dauntless begin to run along the track. I smiled and ran with them. Ready for whatever came next.