Ch.7

It had now been a month in Dauntless. Everyone was only getting stronger. Except for Tris. I was having the nicest dream when I suddenly woke up, hearing rustling from across the room. I sat up and saw Tris sneaking out of the room. I put my shoes on and ran out after her.

I turned the corner and saw her a little ways in front of me. I yelled as quietly as I could, "Tris!"

She whipped around, startled. "Lex? What are you doing?"

I caught up to her and laughed. "I could ask the same thing, you know?"

She crossed her arms over her chest. "I'm going to train. I need more practice."

I shook my head, "No, what you need- is technique. You flail your arms about and kick randomly and hope you hit a soft spot. I've watched you. You need to focus on a method rather than dumb luck."

She rolled her eyes and started walking away from me. "I don't need your help. I'm fine."

I ran up to her again, and grabbed her by the elbow. I huffed, "Look- Peter is out for the weak ones right now. That's you. Practice as much as you want, but without a clear direction- he'll take you out. I'm also working my way through the competition. I don't want to hurt you Tris. So, you need to know how to fight back- properly... Let me help you."

She stared at me for a moment before sighing. "Fine. Let's go."

We walked to the training room and Tris pointed out how I didn't really have proper workout gear on. I laughed. "Yeah, well, I ran after you- so I'm gonna have to work with a crop top and booty shorts- as flattering as that sounds."

We laughed and began training.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Four had walked in and started setting up for the day. Tris turned and looked at me, "Have you noticed how much you look like Four?" 

I furrowed my brows, "No, but I find that insulting." 

She chuckled, "I mean like, your face shape, your hair, and your eyes- you guys could be twins... except that you're a girl and he's a boy." 

I paused, "Tris, you do realize that being twins has nothing to do with you gender right?" 

Her face paled and we looked at each other for a moment before laughing and getting back to work.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was about five in the morning now, and I was sparring with Tris. I was practically screaming at this point. "Come on! I'm a big girl! I can take a hit! You have to go harder Tris!"

We were both sweating profusely. Tris came at me with a war cry. She took a swing with her right arm. I grabbed her hand and spun her so that her back was facing me. I kicked the back of her knee and she fell to the ground. I pulled her up by her hair and made formation to punch her face. I stopped before swinging however, and dropped her to the ground.

I held out a hand to her. She grabbed it and we both stood there for a moment, panting. "Not bad. For just two hours of training- you've already improved. We'll try you out on Christina today- for a fair fight. Good work."

I held my hand out for a fist bump and she looked at me strange. I tilted my head, before realizing- "Oh right! Abnegation. Ok, well, it's a fist bump."

I grabbed her wrist and her hand formed into a fist. I smacked them together. "Boom. Fist bump. Quite literal."

We shared a laugh. We were about to go grab some water, when I heard his voice from across the room. "Initiates. What do you think you're doing here? Training doesn't start until six. Get back to your beds."

I turned to see Eric. His arms were crossed over his chest and he seemed angry. Not at Tris, but at me. I threw a towel to Tris. "I'll be there in a second. Just need to grab my shoes."

She nodded and left the room. I went and sat down on a bench, and began tying my laces together. As I slipped my left shoe on, I saw big black boots stop in front of me. I looked up to see an angry Eric looking down at me. I looked back down and tied my left shoe. I stood to leave, but he grabbed my shoulder and shoved me back onto the bench.

I growled slightly, "Sir, I'm sorry that we were out of our beds- Really. I was just helping Tris train a little before the fights today."

Eric scoffed from above me, and I shot my head up to look at him. "Why would you be helping someone who is under the line? That's good for you, right? Just let her fail."

I stood up, chest to chest with him. Well, as chest to chest you can be with a 6'1 man, at my 5'4 height. "Competition or not- she's a friend. I was just trying to help. You can disagree with me if you want sir, but quite frankly- I don't give a shit."

I walked a little away from him, and he let me go. I had only walked a few steps away from him when he called out to me. "Eric."

I turned back around, "What?"

He turned away from me, "When we're alone- call me Eric."

He walked away briskly, leaving me with slightly red cheeks. I whispered to myself, smiling. "Eric? Ok then."

I walked back to the dorm, trying to shoo the butterflies out of my stomach.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please Vote!