Ch.18

After everyone had completed their final test, Eric rushed me to his apartment. He had to go and announce the 'tracking devices' and do crowd control. We were putting our plan into action. Eric left me in his apartment and rushed to the Pit. While he was gone, I changed into my night clothes. I was so angry I could feel the heat radiating off of me. I was calm for about fifteen minutes before I couldn't take it anymore. I screamed and threw things around. I accidentally broke a vase in the corner next to Eric's bookshelf, but I didn't care. Tris had placed first. I came in second. I eventually calmed down and laid on the bed. I was calmer now. I thought over the plan for tomorrow to get the anger out of my head.

Tonight we would be injecting every civilian Dauntless. We would be injecting a serum that would give us control over them. It activates at five a.m. tomorrow. Eric and I will wake up at 4 a.m. to prepare....

The rest of the plan filled my head and I calmed down. I lay still and just kept repeating the plan over and over again. It had probably been an hour and a half since Eric had left, and I was just starting to drift off. Then I heard the front door open and Eric walk in. I heard his feet come to a halt. I guess he saw the mess I made. I stayed still as I watched him walk to the bed. He peeled his shirt and pants off, then climbed in next to me. With no warning, he flipped me over and brought my face towards him. He looked in my eyes for a moment, which still held much anger. He quickly slammed his lips on mine. We kissed for what seemed like hours, before he pulled away first. We both breathed heavily. I felt a tear coming out of my eye. I watched his eyes follow it as it made its way down my face. It was about to fall when he kissed the spot where it was. I laughed it off, "It's just angry tears. I can't believe she beat me. It makes no sense! She was so weak and now..."

I trailed off and pushed my face into Eric's chest. He held me as I angrily cried. He pulled my face away and held my head in his hand, rubbing my tears away. He smiled, "Don't worry. Tomorrow- she will be helpless. At your mercy. You will be the one on top, not her. You are stronger than her. I know how you feel and you know that. Second place sucks, but you will find a way to the top. You will crush your competition and prevail. I did. And you will too."

I listened to his words and they made me happy. I stopped crying and just let him hold me. I was ready for tomorrow. Because I knew Eric and I would be in control. Safe. Together.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I walked backwards as the other Dauntless leaders followed me through the zombie-like Dauntless. I was explaining how everything worked. I gave them the dumbed down version, even though Jeanine had explained it in a thoroughly scientific fashion. Not everyone could understand like an Erudite. "They can see and hear us. They just don't process it the same way. Commands come in from the transmitter, which is controlled from the Erudite camp."

I turned back around and fell back beside Eric. Max took my place at the front of the group. He was about to speak, when we heard a voice across the Pit.

There was a man walking around, trying to get people's attention. "What's going on? What are we doing?"

Max smirked and turned to Eric, handing him a gun. "Divergent."

Eric walked up to the man, who looked relieved that someone was noticing him. "Hey. Everything's fine. There's nothing to worry about."

The man's expression changed to that of terror as Eric pulled out the gun. Within seconds the man was on the floor, dead. A bullet through his brain. We turned away from him and continued with our work.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As I was loading more guns on the table for the next group to pick up, I made eye contact with Tris. I knew she was awake. She looked scared. I had gotten over the fact that she had beaten me. I knew now that I was above her. I could watch her squirm... but I still held onto my promise. I pulled an invisible zipper across my lips and brought my hand down in front of my face. Keep quiet, look straight ahead. She nodded slightly and looked straight ahead. I quickly looked away. I headed back to Eric's side and we continued on.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Eric, Max and I had taken a car to Abnegation. We arrived just as the first shot was fired. We looked at the man and scanned him. He was not Divergent. I spent a good three minutes yelling at people to keep the sleeping in line. I walked back to Eric after I was done.

He smiled at me, "Feels good, doesn't it?"

I smirked, "Hell yeah."

We caught up with Max just as we were rounding a corner. As soon as we had turned I nudged Eric. He looked down at me and I pointed out Four and Tris in the line of soldiers. Eric smirked. I smirked as well and Eric walked towards them. He shot out his arm and Four stopped in his tracks. I watched as Tris kept walking, then turned back to Four.

Eric looked him over, "Well, well, well. The legendary Four- A mindless drone. You were first in our class. Now you're... nothing."

We began to walk away, but Eric stopped and turned back around. He inspected Four. My brows furrowed as I wondered what he was looking for.

Max spoke first, "What?... Do you think he might be...?"

"There's one way to find out." Eric pulled out his gun and pressed it against Four's head.

He smirked and turned off the safety, "Say goodbye, asshole."

Suddenly a safety clicked off and a familiar voice rang out, "Goodbye."

I immediately raised my gun and pointed it at Tris. Four rushed forward and placed his gun against my head. "Move and you die."

I chuckled. "Same goes for you, dick-for-brains."

"The Stiff?" Eric laughed heartily, then turned back to Four. "Two Stiffs?"

He nudged Four's head with his gun, "Two dead Stiffs."

Max watched from the side before giving us orders, "You can't let a single Divergent slip through. This is what happens. Kill them."

Eric smirked, "Don't worry. She's not gonna shoot me."

Tris put her gun closer to his head and I growled lowly. She glanced at me before taking another step forward, "I think you might be underestimating my character."

Eric spun around and pushed her gun down. She fired and a shot went in his leg. I was about to shoot her, but Four knocked my gun down and brought his up and slammed it into my nose. I cried out and fell to the floor. He attacked Max and they ran off. I got on my knees and shot at them. I shot Tris, but it wasn't anything fatal. I set off an alert. Soldiers would be here in seconds. I got up and rounded the corner. Tris and Four were surrounded.

I raised my gun and aimed it right at Four's head. "Drop your weapons."

I motioned for the others to contain them. They were arrested and dragged off to Jeanine. I checked around the corner to see that Eric was gone. I didn't think about it and walked into the building Jeanine was working in. They were having a conversation. I threw my gun on the table and went to stand next to Jeanine.

I didn't pay attention. Their words were drowned out by my thoughts. I lifted my fingers to my nose. When I pulled my fingers away they were covered in warm crimson. Fucking asshole. My thoughts quickly turned from Four to Tris. Why? I'd tried to help you. And you... you betrayed me. I didn't know how to feel. 

They were talking about bringing both of them back to the Dauntless compound. I cut their conversation off by stepping forward and pressing my finger against the bullet wound in Tris's shoulder. She cried out. I rolled my eyes, "She's injured. Any results you'd take would be unclear. You don't need her."

Jeanine nodded as she inspected Tris's wound. "You're right. Get rid of her."

Tris was dragged off and Four was sedated. I stuffed my nose with tissue and slung my gun over my shoulder. I was making my way out when Jeanine put her hand out in front of me.

 Jeanine turned to me, "He's ok." 

My eyebrows came together, "What?" 

She smiled. "Eric. He's alright. He's in the medical bay in Dauntless. He'll be patched up and back in the field in no time." 

I closed my eyes. "Thank god." 

She rested her hand on my shoulder. "Alexa, before you go see him- I need a favor."