Chapter Five

I drove with Brian. He sat in the passenger seat as I drove. Lady sat in the back, her head poking in between Brian and I. I let the all the windows down of my car so Lady could get some air. I could feel how happy that dog was. She wouldn't let the smile leave her face, her tongue stuck out of the side of mouth as she gave some pants. I smiled as we drove to the pet store.

"I have to tell you, you picked a pretty girl." Brian said petting her behind her ear.

My smile widened. "I know. And now Lady can be mine. She's so pretty and so calm. Unlike Speckles, who will have to get used to having a sister."

"You know what's funny?" Brian said.

"What?"

"You have two dogs that have spots on them. Not one, two! You must love dogs with spots on them." Brian laughed.

I shrugged. "It wasn't my intention. I just saw Lady and I knew I had to get her."

I pulled into a parking spot. I left the window down so Lady could breath while Brian and I went into the pet store. I grabbed my purse, locked the door, and headed into the store. When we walked in, we parted our ways. I went to grab a new food and water bowl for Lady while Brian went to get cat treats for his three cats Benjamin, Chessie, and Brooklyn. I knew Speckles had light blue bowls, so I decided to for the white for Lady. I would paint Lady's name onto the bowl, as I did for Speckles. When I went to go grab treats, Brian caught back up with me. He had three boxes of treats in his hands. I raised an eyebrow.

"Trust me, they go by quick." Brian reassured.

I chuckled. I grabbed a box for the two dogs and started for the counter. I motioned for Brian to put his treats down.

"I'll pay for them." I said.

"No, you don't need to. I can do it myself." Brian said.

"No Brian. Put them down, I will pay for them." I said seriously.

"You sure?" Brian asked.

"Positive." I said with a reassuring smile.

Brian finally gave in after a minute plus of fighting about it. When we exited the store, I set the stuff in the back next to Lady, buckled in, and drove off.

"I'll pay you back for that stuff-"

"No, Brian. I don't need it, okay! You came with me on the adventure, I will gladly pay for your stuff. I don't need money." I said.

"You sure?" Brian asked, wallet in hand.

I let out an airy chuckle. "Yes Brian, I'm positive."

Brian shrugged and put in wallet back into his pocket. As we were driving, I was receiving a call. Worried it was Joe about Speckles, I answered it.

"Hello." I said.

"Hi. It's Sal." Sal's voice echoed the car.

I let out a sigh and clutched my heart. "Man, I almost had a heart attack."

"Why?" Sal asked.

"I thought you were Joe with an emergency call." I said, looking over at Brian with a relieved look.

Sal chuckled. "Well, nope. It's not him, it's me."

"I think we get that." Brian butted in.

"Brian! What are you doing?" Sal asked defensively.

"I'm hanging out with Addison. Why, you have a problem with that?" Brian asked with a side smirk.

"N-no." Sal stuttered.