Chapter Thirty-Four

'White Christmas' by Bing Crosby played throughout the house, bringing in the Christmas mood. Outside, there was flurries of small snowflakes falling from the sky, covering up the front lawn with even more snow. The window was frosted over, but it didn't mean that the snow wouldn't stick to it. Little snowflakes attached to the window pane, making little patterns all over. Inside, a fire crackled as boxes were open to every little ornament. On the tree were ornaments of every shape and size, from different Disney cartoons to expensive bulbs. The cord of lights wrapped around the trees pines, making them ready to light up at any minute. It was starting to look like Christmas.

Sal and I were careful to not to drop the bulbs we were putting on the tree, since half of them were my mom's old ornaments. We walked back and forth, figuring out where each ornament would go and how it would be placed. It was almost like a game of strategy, we would pick up an ornament then try to figure out where everything went. But with this game, it was watch what your doing or "piss off Addison for breaking her mom's ornaments" type of game.

"You know what I just realized." I said to Sal as I stood back and admired what work we accomplished.

"What is that?" Sal asked.

"We should have an ornament that signifies us. I think we should also get the guys, Bessy, and Milana to pick our there own ornaments to put on the tree." I said.

Sal smiled at me. "Why do you always have good ideas?" He asked as he pulled out his phone.

I shrugged and chuckled. "I dunno."

>><<

"Okay, pick them out carefully. I don't want y'all to regret what you chose later." I directed.

"Since when did you get all country on us." James asked.

"Since you guys haven't moved since we walked into the store! Let's go!" I ordered.

We all split up. Brian and James went one way, Joe, Bessy, and Milana went the other way, and Sal and I went one way as well. As we were looking, Sal was having issues trying to pick out an ornament for himself and at the same time agreeing with me for ours. When we finally did pick ours, Sal decided to focus on getting his. I parted from him and headed to go find Bessy, Joe, and Milana. I found them in the next isle over from where Sal and I were. Joe had Milana in his arms, pointing out all the decorations. Bessy was just standing and watching her husband bond with her daughter over the cute things. I smiled and walked up to her.

"Enjoying the moment?" I asked referring to Joe and Milana.

Bessy turned to me and smiled. "I always do. Joe loves that girl to death, it's amazing."

I smiled back at her. "I hope I can have a daughter one day to bond with."

"Well, have you talked to Sal about that?" Bessy asked.

"About what?" I questioned.

"Having children, duh." Bessy smacked my arm. I winced and rubbed my arm. "No I haven't. I don't see the need to since we only got together not even a month ago." I replied.

"Talk to him at least. Sal has always said that we wanted children of his own." Bessy said.

I just gave her a sweet smile. "I'll think about it. Maybe when the time is right, I will. But not now."

"That's good." Bessy said.

I walked away from her and headed to go find Brian and James. They seemed to be looking at all the blow up decorations and imitating them. I decided not to bother them, since they seemed to have a good time with themselves. I reconnected with Sal, who was still having trouble with picking out his ornament.

>><<

"Please, for the love of god, do not touch the opened boxes of ornaments. Also, please do not knock down the ornaments on the tree. These are my mom's old ornaments and they mean a lot to me." I pleaded.

So, with that, everyone was careful where they stepped. I watched them as they picked the perfect places to put the ornaments they bought on the tree. I stood back with Sal, who already placed his on the tree. His arm slithered around my waist as he pulled me towards him. When everyone was done putting theirs on the tree, I put Sal and I's ornament on. Sal finished it off by putting the star on top of the tree. I turned the LED lights on, and took a step back.

The tree looked wonderful. It was everything I ever wanted. All the ornaments that meant a lot to me that were from my mom were on it. The ones the guys, Bessy and Milana bought stood near the front of the tree, making it special. Sal and I's ornament sat near the middle of the tree, making me smile.

Everyone stayed over after that. I made hot cocoa for everyone and passed it out. I sat myself between Sal and James on the couch. Brian sat in the recliner as Bessy and Joe sat on the other couch. Milana played on the ground with Lady and Speckles. All of us kept a light conversation, talking about what everyone was doing for Christmas. We all had different plans, but decided to meet up here, evidently, later that day so we can exchange and open gifts we got for each other. Then, out of the blue, one of them asked me about why I was so careful about my ornaments.

"Don't you have family you go to for Christmas?" Brian asked me.

All eyes were on me now. I guess, now, that it was time to spill the beans on my family. Something I didn't like brushing on, but I guess it had to be done someday.

"Both my parents are dead," I started. "My dad died when I was in senior year of high school. I was nineteen at the time and he passed away from lung cancer. He was fort-six when he died. It was hard on us, but we made it through. My mom kept us together until I moved to live at university to do my studies. Last I saw my mom alive was Christmas of 2002. By May of 2003, we were presented with her laying in a coffin, dressed to perfection. She was only forty-seven when she died, five years apart from my dad. We were never told why she died, so for me it still remains a mystery. I was only twenty-four when my mom passed away, so it was tough. Not having parents to help you is hard to get through. With all of this, I do have siblings, but only one. His name is Cameron, but we usually call him Cam. Cam and I separated when I moved to live at university. Last we communicated, we were at Christmas with mom. Then, we were at mom's funeral. We haven't spoken for fourteen years after that, not caring about each other, until Thanksgiving. He invited me for dinner at his place, so I went. It was tough, with him married and two children. Cam was smart, so his kids are smart. He looks amazing, which means he got pretty blonde girl at his side. We communicated and caught up with each other. We wanted to keep in touch, but we never exchanged numbers. So, with that, I really have no one else to go to. I know what you're thinking, what about your aunts, uncles, cousins, grandparents? My grandparents died together one night before I was born, so I never knew them. My aunts and uncles refused to communicate with our family, but only came for holidays. Our cousins live so far away that we can't keep in touch.

"I make it sound like I hard a tough childhood, but that's not true. Our house was full of happiness, because my parents wanted the best for us. It was very rare to see us in a dump, that's because we never needed to. We always laughed and bonded. My dad, growing up, was my superhero. So, you should know how I felt when he passed. He was loved by everyone that was around him. My mom was a sweetheart. She never wanted to hurt a living soul. She always spoiled us, even though we didn't need it. She always asked if we were doing okay, which wasn't necessary when we were all together. Cam and I rarely fought. We were actually nice towards each other. But every-other month we would just separate. No yelling, no fighting, just didn't talk. And that was fine with us. We didn't care much.

"But I do want to say one thing, the reason why I care so much about Christmas is because of my mom. I'm so careful with those ornaments because they are the last vivid memory I have of my mom. If she was here, you would be smiling from ear to ear. Oh how much do I wish that my parents were fucking here right now, to see all of you."

Sal wiped a stray tear away from my cheek. I saw Joe wiping away his tears, making me feel bad. Bessy clung to Joe's arm, rubbing his back. James and Brian were staring down at their cocoa cups, taking in all the words I said. I leaned into Sal as I silently cried myself to sleep.