Chapter Twenty-Three

Brian and I decided to save the Ferris Wheel for when the sun started to set. So in the meantime, we decided to walk around and buy some souvenirs and snacks. Since we knew we already had big plushies in the Jeep, we decided to keep the souvenirs small.

We walked into a small shop toward the exit of the carnival. As we walked around, Brian picked out friendship bracelets that they were selling for a buck. So we grabbed five, one for me, one for Brian, one for Joe, one for James, and one for Sal. I picked up a shirt that had the name of the Carnival on the back of the shirt. I also got myself a hat, which Brian grabbed one also to twin with me. I brought myself to grab a small bear plush for Sal. We slipped on our hats and friendship bracelets, then right after proceeding to take pictures.

After shopping, we headed to the food stands. I ordered myself a burger while Brian ordered himself a pizza. I bought a large fry so Brian and I could share. We didn't finish them from being full, so we threw away our garbage and headed for the arcades to settle our stomachs down. We played air hockey against each other. Lucky for me, I won and Brian just smirked at my happiness of winning something. With each winning game, we earned a certain amount of tickets. When we were done, we turned in our tickets. The biggest thing I could buy were small, very cheap toys, candy, or an assortment of small plushies. Since I didn't want candy or the cheap toys, I got myself a small shark plushie. Brian got the candy.

We walked back to the food court and started getting 'desserts' for ourselves. I bought a candy apple and Brian bought a funnel cake. I told Brian to take a picture of me with my candy apple before eating it, so we had a photo shoot. We also had people take pictures of us with our desserts and gifts. We laughed and smiled at pictures we enjoyed and thought were keepers.

Brian and I realized that the sun was started to set so we headed to the line for the Ferris wheel. Leaving our bags in a cubby, we got up to get into our cage and sat on opposite sides of each other. I kept my candy apple and phone with me while Brian only had his camera wrapped around his neck. As we started up, Brian kept his gaze on the view that we got. To look back on the moment, I pulled out my phone and snapped a picture of him. He obviously caught me and just smiled. I smiled back when he picked up his camera and pointed it towards me. He just chuckled at the outcome, making me roll my eyes.

We got higher and higher up. I was fixed on finishing the last few bites of my candy apple when Brian kicked his feet at mine. I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion when he motioned his head out the cage. Wanting to know what he was seeing, I looked out of the cages' bars. I gasped. The view was breath taking. Though I felt bad for the people under us because when I brought my hands to the bars, I dropped my candy apple out. I heard Brian laugh when it happened, making me soon join in with his laughter. When we calmed down, we brought our focus back onto the view we got. We could see the whole city out beyond us. Some of the buildings in the distance were lighting up their lights. Others were just letting the sunset soak up their windows.

As I was letting myself enjoy the view, I heard the sound of a camera. I looked over at Brian, who was just looking down at his camera smiling. I didn't let it bother me though. Until...

"Can I do something, before I know it's too late?" Brian asked.

"Yeah..." I said slowly.

Brian got up and switched sides, making me start to panic. That's when the Ferris wheel stopped and we were stuck at the top. The cage started to rock wildly, making me loose my mind.

"Brian!" I squealed.

"Relax, everything will be fine. Trust me." Brian said leaning over and fixing his camera to where he wanted it.

"What are you doing?" I questioned.

"I just...want to do something...before I know you're gone forever." Brian replied.

I squinted my eyes at him. "That doesn't answer my question."

Brian finally leaned back, but he looked rushed. He grabbed my face, his hands cupping my cheeks.

"Place your hands on my face, quickly." Brian said.

So, without questioning, I did what he was doing to me. Though, I was still majorly confused.

"What are you doing?" I asked.

"Something I want to do before you are taken away." Brian replied.

Then, out of the blue, Brian kissed me. I was completely shocked at first, not knowing how to react. But I didn't want to be mean, so I closed my eyes and relaxed myself, kissing him back. I could hear the camera go off, but we didn't care. We stayed there for a good ten more seconds before breaking.

"Why did you do that?" I asked after we parted.

"I knew this would be my only chance." Brian replied.