Chapter Eight

Today was not a good day to start off with. I didn't have dog food left. When I went to make breakfast, I didn't have anything I wanted. I then finished the box of cereal, which didn't fill my bowl up whatsoever. When I went to sit down and watch tv, my power went out. I called to see what was wrong and they told me I didn't pay electric bill. When I drove off to get groceries, my tire popped. They had to tow my car off to get that replaced. I also had problems with my engine and air conditioning, so they are keeping my car for a week. I have to take a damn rental. The only good part about the whole thing was my shopping experience. It was calming. Everyone was at work so it wasn't busy at all. I got everything that I needed. I went to the bank to pay off my electric so they could send that in. When I got home, my dogs were starving so I fed them right away. After putting all my groceries away, I plopped onto the couch and took a deep sigh. I closed my eyes to relax and was almost asleep...

*knock* *knock* *knock*

I groaned. I got up to get the door. There, in the door, stood Sal dressed up sharp in a suit. Honestly, he looked really good. Though, I was confused. So was he. Though, along with his confusion, he gave a look of disappointment.

"What are you dressed up for?" I asked.

"Why aren't you dressed up?" Sal asked back.

"Dressed up for what?" I asked.

"Did you forget?" Sal asked.

"Forget what?" I asked back, confused.

"Our date! Oh my god, you said you wouldn't forget!" Sal said upset.

My eyes widened. "Oh my god! I'm so sorry!"

I ran upstairs and started to get ready. I went through my closet. I pulled out a black shirt with white lines on it, making it look kind of checkered, that came down right above my thigh. I tucked a plain white turtleneck sweater into it. I put my hair down, letting the curls from the braid come out. I pulled on some knee high black heeled boots and put on some casual makeup. I checked myself in the mirror before grabbing a small purse and my phone and heading downstairs.

As I ran down the stairs, Sal turned around and looked at me. I didn't pay attention, as my head was facing the ground, making sure I wouldn't miss a step.

"Sorry I'm late. Bad day." I said smoothing my skirt out.

"Woah." Sal breathed out under his breath.

I looked up at him with a smirk. "What?"

"Nothing. Just, even in a rush, you can still pull off an amazing outfit." Sal complimented.

I blushed and thanked him. We rushed out the door and got into his car. As we drove off. I rested my head back onto the seat and took a deep sigh.

"I'm so sorry I forgot. Bad day." I explained.

"It's fine. Don't worry about it." Sal said reaching over and grabbing my hand. "You can explain it to me when we get to the restaurant."

I looked over at him and smiled. I know he could feel me smiling at him because he gave one back, looking out into the road.

Sal drove us to a very fancy French restaurant. Just from the outside, it looked way out of our budget. I also felt way underdressed.

"You sure about this?" I asked Sal, clutching onto my clutch.

"Yes, I'm positive." Sal reassured.

I gave an uncertain smile and got out the the vehicle. Sal opened the door for me and followed behind me. When we entered, right away I noticed I was definitely underdressed. Sal came up to me and wrapped his arm around my side.

"Reservation for Vulcano." Sal said.

"Ah oui, monsieur et madame Valcano." The waiter said.

My lips were a line as we followed the waiter to our table. Sal pulled my chair out for me. I thanked him and sat down. He sat across from me and scooted in.

"What would you like to drink?" The waiter asked with a thick French accent.

"Water pour moi." I said quietly.

"...et vous monsieur?"

"Uuh, water. Thanks." Sal said unsure.

The waiter smiled and walked away. Both Sal and I gave each other uncertain looks as we looked at our menus. As I was trying to find something to order, the prices popped out at me. Everything was so overpriced! The only thing that was cheap was the salad, and even that was eighteen dollars. I lowered my menu and leaned into the table.

"Sal, these prices are crazy!" I whispered.

"I know! Just the salad is eighteen dollars!" He whispered back, still looking at the menu.

"Are you sure you can afford this?" I asked biting my lip.

"Anything for you." Sal said as he shuffled in his chair. He was on edge.

"What I want is to get out of here!" I raised my voice a notch.

"The only thing that near us is a Five Guys! I don't think that's a good ideal date." Sal said back.

"Sal, hello! Do you see the prices! I'm not paying for food that's way overpriced! I'm not putting a hole in your bill." I said.

"No, let's just wait for a little while." Sal said.

Annoyed, I set my menu down and crossed my arms over my chest. I crossed my legs under the table, leaning back into my chair. I didn't take my eyes off of Sal. Though, after a few minutes, Sal locked eyes with me. I raised a brow as he set his menu down. His lips formed a straight line.

>><<

"Hello, can I get a cheeseburger with a small fry."

"And can I get a bacon cheeseburger with a small fry as well."

There we were, two overly-dressed people eating at a fast-food restaurant for our date. To be honest, it was better than that other place. Sal had taken off his blazer and tie, leaving him in just his nice white shirt, black slacks, and dress shoes. I pulled my hair up in a messy ponytail and rolled the sleeves up of my sweater to my elbows.

"Your order number is 594."

"Thank you."

I handed Sal his cup and we went to choose our drinks. As they were filling up, Sal looked at me and smiled. I looked over at him and stuck my tongue out. When our food came, we grabbed our stuff and dug in. I looked at the extra recipe on the tray.

"Our total was the amount for a steak at the restaurant." I said showing it to him.

"That was awful. This is a lot better to be honest." Sal said.

I agreed. We took a selfie to remember our first date together, and also to remember not to go back to that place ever again.