13 ~ Cold-Blooded Fish on Broken Plates

Hey! So lately, I've been experimenting to find an update schedule that works for me... Fingers crossed I find the ideal one. I'll let you all know once it's more solid, but expect at least one chapter a week! Love you little appleseeds <3

Zailey was speechless as she made sharp eye contact with the girl in front of her.

Kriss... He's a...?!

The two exchanged looks, but before one could utter a word, Connor walked into the room, "Kriss, the movie's ready-"

Zailey looked at Connor, who stood closely behind Kriss.

Kriss turned her head, facing Connor, "Oh, hey, I was just about to make us some popcorn.... And look at Andrew's new girlfriend!"

"Girlfriend?!" Connor shot Zailey an intrigued look.

Zailey put her arm around Andrew, "Who wouldn't want to be the girlfriend of this little cutie."

"Are you cheating on me, baby?" Connor teased.

"Piss off, we've caused enough damage with that little act. Elizabeth hasn't spared a glance all day."

"Y-You know Elizabeth?" Kriss asked. "How do you know her?"

"They're friends," Connor told her. "Best friends."

"Well, after last night, I'd be grateful if she would even say hi," Zailey said.

"She'll come around... I don't think she was actually angry at anyone," he said. "She might be at war with herself."

"Well, I don't want her fighting alone. She's done that enough without anyone even realizing," she said, firm in her resolve.

She smiled, trying to get rid of the heavy atmosphere, "Butter or cheese?"

Andrew raised his hands in a jovial manner, "Cheese!"

"How about you, Zailey?" Connor asked.

"Oh, I'm not staying long," Zailey shook her hand.

"Why are you here, anyway?" Kriss asked, acting upon impulse.

"Well, there's this thing- Ow!"

Kriss took a chair and stood on it to get a pack of popcorn in one of the cabinets. As she struggled to reach, she accidentally dropped a sachet from the box, causing it to bounce off Zailey's head. Andrew tried to rush for her rescue, yet did not manage to do much besides pick the dropped sachet up from the floor.

"Oh my gosh!" Kriss carefully stepped off the chair. "Are you okay?"

"It's nothing, don't worry," Zailey smiled slightly. "I'm fine."

"She's got a hard head anyway," Connor ruffled her hair before fixing it again. "You alright?"

Zailey glared at him only to realize that despite his joke, his eyes seemed to be filled with genuine concern.

Feeling a vibration in her pocket, she took her phone out.

Ma: Zai, you're still out right? Can you pick up some plates from our storage at the Marsh residence? Love you. Mwah!

"Actually, I'll be leaving now," Zailey said, walking towards the door, "My mom wants me to run some errands."

"Wait, you haven't told us why you're here in the first place," Connor said.

"I'll tell you later," she glanced at Kriss. "When you aren't busy."

"D-Do you have to go?" He asked.