49 ~ Kisses

"Dad, you're early today."

"I'm always early, Connor." William said before his eyes returned to Zailey. "You! Don't you dare come into my house..."

Connor was about to jump in, until William finished his sentence.

"Without telling me first," William pouted. "I could've made my special double cheese, double patty burgers you like."

"Sorry, Mr. Davis... I didn't know I'd be here either," she threw an angry glare at Andrew. "I just came to get my scheming sister's laptop."

The dinner table was silent at first, Andrew and William flopping glances between Zailey and Connor.

"This is Andrew's cooking, isn't it?" Zailey said, munching on her food.

Connor raised his eyebrows, "Andrew cooks?"

"Mhm... He got lessons from Ma," she said. "Now he's better than her."

"I wouldn't say that," Andrew scratched his head.

"Don't you even try being modest," Zailey said. "Which reminds me... Macy's been craving your cookies. If you ever need to bribe her, baking's your best bet."

Zailey noticed the slight tinge that swept Andrew's face. She bit back a laugh as he subtly fidgeted in his seat.

If only she could slap sense into Macy for not realizing how Andrew acted around her. The boy was in love.

Although, there were moments where Zailey saw reciprocation in Macy's eyes. The way she smiled, treated, and felt around Andrew. Zailey knew that it wouldn't be long until she grew up and her slowly developing brain would finally catch up to her puberty stricken body.

"I'll help with the dishes," Zailey said, picking up their empty plates.

"Thanks, Zai... I would do it but... Boy, am I tired," William yawned. "Connor, you help her."

"Oh, no... I'm fine-" she said, waving her hands.

"I insist! We can't have you do all the work... Right, Connor?" He threw him a forceful glare.

"Yeah, sure," Connor replied blankly, proceeding to the kitchen with his plate.

Connor and Zailey stood centimeters apart, their shoulders brushing with every slight movement. They were both tense, trying to gather the courage to start a conversation.

This was the first time they have spent time together for something non work-related. A couple years ago, they had absolutely no restraint talking about anything that popped into their heads. Would things be different now?

"It seems like you've spent a lot of time with them," Connor said.

"Yeah, we really bonded these past years," Zailey said. "Pass the soap, please."

Connor squirted the dishwash soap on her sponge and set it down.

"Stop! Stop! You're doing it wrong," Zailey elbowed him. "You're wasting the soap!"

He watched her as she grabbed a container and the dish soap.

"You have to fill this container with water about half-way... Then you put a couple drops," she instructed, acting out the procedures. "And mix... There. You can use this for the whole load."

A faint smile played on his lips, catching every word that left her mouth. The girl could talk about toilets and still sound sexy. Until now, she was still his tutor. 

His...

No. He couldn't fill his head with these kinds of thoughts. It would only be a matter of time before-