51 ~ Lights

It was useless. No matter what excuse she could come up with, there was no way to avoid it. She would have to face Connor at the company dinner. Ever since she first found out about it a couple hours ago, it had consumed all her thoughts.

    "Zai, sell me your vagina," Elizabeth attempting to bring her back to reality. "I wanna use it for my new unicorn centerpiece."

    "Uhuh," Zailey said before realizing what she said. "Wait, what?!"

    "She's daydreaming again," Kriss walked back into the room with three cups of tea.

    "I know right, she even missed my story about some company calling me about a dildo endorsement."

    "You mean they were trying to get Zai to do a dildo endorsement," Kriss corrected her.

    "I was the one that had to deal with them. They wouldn't stop talking about all the different settings," Elizabeth cringed. "Did you know that you can-"

    "Stop!" Zailey and Kriss protested in unison.

    "I'm glad I didn't hear it," Zailey said.

    "What's been bothering you, anyway?" Kriss asked, taking a sip of tea.

    "I have to go to a company dinner tomorrow night," Zailey said.

    "So? Fancy, expensive restaurant... Free food... What's not to like?" Elizabeth asked.

    "Mr. Davis is gonna be there," Zailey sighed.

    "Oh, come on, that's it? Don't you already see him everyday?" Kriss asked.

    "Not really. I mean... Not anymore. I've been avoiding him."

    "I noticed there was something weird between you two these days," Elizabeth said. "He hasn't been around lately."

    "That's the way it should be. There are plenty of other more important things he should be taking care of," Zailey looked down, stirring her tea.

    "You seem sad about that," Kriss said.

    "I'm not. I've actually been pretty relaxed lately. Gavin and I have been doing great, and we've been spending a lot more time together."

    "You're avoiding Connor because of Gavin?" Elizabeth asked.

    "When Connor and I are together, things get weird and just... Unpredictable," she said. "I can't keep doing that to Gavin. It's wrong."

    "But answer this Zai, what weird things do you feel exactly? Feelings don't go away just because you don't see a person," Kriss pointed out. "They might seem invisible for a while, but they're still there."

    "Maybe, but I can't trust them. I barely know the guy."

    "Barely?!" Elizabeth exclaimed.

    "Fine, there was high school. But that was for what, a school year?" Zailey said. "I've spent almost six years with Gavin. He knows everything about me and I know everything about him."

    Kriss smiled, "I agree. I can see a future ahead of you. You two have similar attitudes, you're both dancers, you two even have a fanbase for God's sake."

    "Speaking of Gavin, you two have a charity event in an hour. Let's go?" Elizabeth said, quickly packing snacks into her bag. "Thanks for letting us stay over, Kriss."

    "No problem, you two stay out of trouble. And have fun at the company dinner, Zai!"

    As soon as they left the house, Elizabeth stopped walking.