25 ~ Hanging with Lady Perfect

Kriss sat back on her chair, completely motionless, "You're lying."

"I'm sorry-" he was suddenly cut off with a slap to the face.

"For once after the divorce, my mom was happy. She was smiling, and laughing, and she talked to me about her love life," Kriss said. "Gav, please tell me it's a joke. We were finally gonna be good. I thought we were finally gonna be happy."

Gavin remained silent, refusing to meet her eyes.

"Can't you speak?!"

"I'm sorry."

"Look, this doesn't just concern us. Your dad needs to be the one to talk to my mom. I swear, if he were here right now..."

"I'll talk to him."

"Alright, I'll be leaving now, then."

"Kriss!

Kriss stormed away, leaving Gavin, who was still in shock and completely devastated.

***

The Tsang family just finished dinner, when the doorbell rang simultaneously.

"Whoa, who is that?" Lilia asked.

"Hold on, I'll get it." Zailey stood up from the dining table.

Zailey opened the door to see Kriss in messy hair and smudged make up, "K-Kriss..."

She ran into Zailey's arms, tears dripping over her shoulder.

"Kriss, I'm sorry," She rubbed her back.

"No, stop it! Everyone's saying sorry and I hate it!"

For the next half hour, Kriss sat in the couch silently, while Zailey sat in front of her waiting for her to speak.

"You already know, right? You were with Gavin the whole day."

Zailey nodded.

"You saw it?"

She nodded once again.

"Did it look that bad?"

She nodded again.

"There's no possibility that... They were just friends or maybe it was a business meeting?"

Zailey shook her head.

Kriss dug her head in her hands and ran her fingers through her hair, "Life really isn't fair."

"You know what, things happen for a reason. Life was telling you how much of an asshole he is! Imagine, he was gonna be your new dad."

"I just can't believe I trusted him with my mom. She deserves so much better."

"And now she has what's better. She'll drop that douche scumbag fucking piece of skank shit."

For the first time, Kriss smiled slightly, almost chuckling at her comment, "You're right."

"You wanna yell at him?"

"Hell yes. But that won't do anything. He'll still be as rich and greedy as ever. And I can't do anything until my mom gets her hands on him."

"How would you like to beat him up?"

"Zai, are you trying to get me in jail or something?"

"Nope, just thought I'd take advantage of my boxing membership. Wanna join?"

"Boxing?"

"Mhm... My friend Destiny's dad owns it and she gave me a free membership for my birthday last year."