31 ~ Marshmallow Melts

"You ready for a makeover?" Kriss asked, running her fingers through Zailey's hair.

"Kriss, I really don't need one," Zailey said.

"I know you don't... But it'd be a perfect way to bond a little bit."

"Oh gosh, let's please avoid saying the word 'bond' for a while."

"Fine. But I'm still gonna make you into a goddess."

"We can do that without all the colorful dirt."

"Makeup. It enhances your features, so don't worry. I won't paint on a mask," Kriss assured her. "Your timing is perfect actually. I'm gonna hang out with Dave today."

"Oh... Dave?"

"Mhm. My boyfriend," Kriss said.

"I'd be happy to meet him," she smiled. "And... I guess I can let you work your magic on me, too."

"Thank you, thank you!" Kriss hugged her. "You showed me something you like to do. Now it's my turn. You never know, you might like it."

"Right..." Zailey chuckled, unconvinced.

Their first stop was Iris boutique, where Kriss laid out piles of clothes for Zailey to try. She tried on outfit after outfit, and to Kriss' surprise, everything looked good on her.

"I'm so jealous of you! How can you manage to pull off everything you wear?" Kriss said.

"What are you talking about? I look weird," Zailey said, looking at herself in the mirror.

"It just takes some getting used to. You're hot!"

"Zai, what do you think about this?" She held up a dress. "You think he'll like it?"

"I think... You're asking the wrong question. Do you like it? It's your body, not his."

Kriss smiled, "You're right... I'll take it."

"I heard you guys have been together for a while," Zailey started.

"More than a year... Yeah."

"You must really love him?"

"Of course," Kriss said.

Zailey felt weight lifted off her chest, somewhat reassured.

"But, to tell you the truth. Things aren't the same anymore... The kind of love I'm feeling for him's changing."

Her panic resurfaced, "Ch-Changing? What happened?"

"Zai, everything changes when you spend time apart," she said. "After coming back from Africa, I seriously thought everything would get better. That I'd be happier..."

"And?"

"Even though I'm back, Dave's in college, things got really complicated with Connor, I never got to patch things up with Elizabeth... And... Well, you know what happened with my mom."

Hearing Kriss speak, Zailey finally understood why she was so desperate to be her friend. She was lonely. More than love, what she needed was someone to trust to help mend her heart from broken relationships.

"I'm sorry," was all Zailey was able to say.

"Don't be. There's nothing to be sorry for. I don't regret going to Africa, and no matter what happens from now on... I'll take it one step at a time."

"I'll help you."

Kriss began to tear up, "Ugh, you know if I wasn't straight, I'd fall sooo hard for you."