40 ~ Once It's All Over

Zailey froze up, unable to calm her exploding nerves. She fidgeted backstage shifting her eyes to the left, where other competitors scrambled to get into their costumes, and glancing to her left, where Gavin stood. Taking a deep breath in, she tuned out the loud echoes of microphones and deafening screams of the audience. She closed her eyes and took herself out of the competition, rewinding back to 30 hours ago.

***

"Zailey! God, I was getting worried, I thought something happened to you!" Connor exclaimed as soon as she answered the call.

"What do you mean? I've been waiting for your call... What took you so long?" Zailey asked, her ecstatic mood flowing out through the phone. "You know what, it doesn't even matter... How's everything? Are you jetlagged? You're getting along with your mom, right? Is this going to be your number?"

Connor chuckled, "I miss you, too. It's been the longest day of my life. And it's weird considering I basically skipped an entire day."

"Oh, I hear ya-" She said before realizing she was still in the room with Gavin. "But... I'm so sorry... Is it okay if we talk a bit later?"

"Sure, are you right in the middle of rehearsing?"

"Yeah... I'll call you in an hour."

"Alright, bye..."

"Bye..."

Gavin looked back at her and smiled, "You seem really happy now."

Zailey nodded, "But enough about me. What happened with you mom?"

"Is that why you hung up? You've been waiting for his call all day."

"I know... But I promised you I'd help with your mom first."

He smiled, "She congratulated me for making it this far... And she told me that she was excited to watch me..."

"That's great! Wow, that's gonna make my job so much easier."

"She also told me not to come near her."

Zailey gulped, "What?"

"If people found out I was her son, the public's gonna doubt us. They'd think that we got special treatment. The focus wouldn't be on us, but me and my mom's relationship."

"I guess, but... What about after the competition?"

"Something about ruining the show's credibility. It was supposedly all her manager's idea to avoid meeting."

"That's so unfair!" She exclaimed. "No matter what they say, I'm gonna make sure you two meet again. Trust me, okay?"

"Zai... I think they're right. It'll only bring unnecessary attention to me. You don't deserve that."

"Gavin, who gives a shit about fame? This is family we're talking about."

"I don't know... But, I'd like if you stop dipping into this for a bit," he said before walking out.

"Gavin!" Zailey tried to yell, but the door slammed quicker than she could get her words out.

***

"Have you gotten in touch with Connor?" Elizabeth asked Zailey through the phone.

"Are you kidding? She's in London, she can worry about a long distance relationship once she gets back to LA," Josephina said. "Just have Gavin entertain you or something."

"A phone call doesn't hurt... After all, Connor was supposed to come with them, remember?" Jacque bud in.

"But, Zai... Isn't it Connor's-" Elizabeth started.