34 ~ A Shit-Storm's About to Hit

Though the amount of tests and school work decreased over the course of a week, Zailey relentlessly added more work on her plate. She worked extra hours and rehearsed when time allowed it. It was the last Friday before the competition, and her gears were turning more than ever.

"Zai... Zai?" Gavin called out to her during one of their water breaks, as she drowsily bobbed her head back and forth.

He walked up to her, waving his hand in front of her face. Realizing she was falling asleep, he tapped on her shoulder.

"Hm?" She suddenly snapped back awake.

"We should stop for today. I'm kind of tired," he made an excuse, knowing well that she was not going to stop for her own well-being.

"Are you alright?" She put a hand on his forehead.

"Yeah. I think I just need to sit down," he said, pretending to be dizzy.

"Hold on, let me get something for you to eat. Do you have water left in your water bottle?"

Gavin nodded, "I'm fine. Just keep sitting there and transfer some of your energy."

"Hey, be serious. If you're tired like this and get sick we won't be able to go to Europe, much less compete."

"Fine. Let's both rest."

"You can go ahead, I'm gonna keep practicing," she said, before Gavin grabbed her hand.

"I'll heal a lot faster if you're next to me."

"Marshmallow-"

"Please?"

"Stop looking at me like that..."

Keeping his puppy-dog stare, she groaned and sat next to him.

"I have a question," he inched to the right to make space for her. "Why can't you take care of yourself first?"

"What?"

"How can you not tell you're sick?"

"Sick? Right now?" She tried to feel her forehead. "I don't feel hot, though."

"You can't feel your own temperature, dummy. Now, come on, I'll drop you off."

"I feel totally fine," she said confidently before struggling to stand up.

"I can see that," he said sarcastically.

"Shut up, this is all your fault."

"And why is it my fault, exactly?"

"If you didn't point it out, I wouldn't even have felt it."

"Well... I'm sorry for caring about you," he said without thinking.

The air suddenly got heavier, as they remained silent for a few seconds before deciding to shake it off.

Zailey cleared her throat, "I'll grab my stuff."

He nodded averting his eyes to avoid eye contact.

"So for costumes, I was thinking-" she paused, as she felt another throbbing headache.

"Does it hurt a lot?"

"Yeah... But it's not this stupid headache that's bothering me..." She said. "I was supposed to help Jacque and Elizabeth find summer jobs today."

"Think of yourself first! You need to rest if you wanna get better before we leave in two days."

"But I'm the one that knows all the places to work. They haven't worked a day in their lives, you know..."