Chapter Three: Bed Time

Night fell quickly, and it was time for Grandma Rosie to go home. She hugged Sadie in the hallway by the front door and gave her goodbye kisses.

"Be back soon." Said Steven over his shoulder as he shut the door behind him.

Rosemary lived a few suburbs over in a gated retirement village. She lived there alone, so Steven would often pick her up after work when he also picked Sadie up from school. But, of course, today was extra special since it was Sadie's sixth birthday.

After Steven had left to take Rosemary home, Patricia sent Sadie upstairs to get ready for bed time. But soon, Sadie was back in the kitchen.

Patricia was rinsing dishes and putting them into the dishwasher.

"Mum?"

...

"Mum?"

Patricia sighed, and her shoulders dropped.

"Mum?"

"What?! What do you want?" Patricia said loudly and didn't even turn to face Sadie.

"Am I having a bath?" Sadie asked.

Patricia glanced back at Sadie before continuing to rinse dishes. "No, just put your pyjamas on and go to bed."

Still clutching her magic blanket, Sadie crept up the carpeted stairs to her bedroom at the end of the hallway.

Ever since Patricia lost her job, something had changed inside her. For some reason she had become easily irritable.

Sadie wondered if it was her fault.