Chapter Twenty-Eight: Demise

With the cat tucked under her arm, Rosemary stepped out of the laundry, when there was a sudden lightning strike. It was so loud, it must have been close by.

Luna let out a, "Reow!" as she leapt out of Rosemary's grasp and scurried away to hide.

The lights didn't even flicker before they went out. It was immediately dark, and so, so quiet.

The only source of illumination was coming from outside. Occasionally, lightning would strike, and a blink of light would flash inside. And each time it did, it made the monsters shriek.

With the lights out, the monsters wasted no time racing down the stairs to attack Rosemary.

She quickly jumped back into the laundry just as they reach her. Although she managed to shut the door, she did not escape without injury.

The monsters banged on the door. One even tried turning the door handle.

Meanwhile, Steven rushed back to Sadie-flashlight in hand-and stood in front of her.

"Here, hold this." He told Sadie as he handed her the flashlight.

Steven grabbed the coat stand from behind her and proceeded to shake off the stuff hanging on the end of it. Mostly just jackets, a hat and a scarf or two. But, he'd forgotten about one thing.

An umbrella clunked to the floor noisily.

After a moment Sadie let out a sudden, short scream and Steven's gaze shot up.

At the other end of the house... the monsters were glaring at them.

Steven snatched the flashlight from Sadie, flicked the switch and pointed the light at the monsters.

They each let out horrid screams and scattered away. Seeking refuge in the shadows.

His heart was racing now, and he felt an uncomfortable chill flood across his skin, ending at his palms. He gathered himself quickly and while he had a moment, he put the end of the coat stand at an angle of the floor and stomped his boot down on it.

He lifted his coat stand and took a breath as he looked at the end. Suddenly, he felt brave. He had successfully snapped the wood, turning the end of the coat stand into a sharp point.

With his spear in one hand and the flashlight in the other, Steven would protect his daughter no matter what.

It did not take long before the monsters became impatient and tried to rush them.

But Steven was determined. He shined his torch at them searing their flesh and breaking the tough surface layer of their skin. Then he would thrust his spear into the same spot.

Monster after monster came and each met their demise, shrieking and falling to the floor. They gasped and gurgled, choking on black goop, before letting out a final breath; no more than a sighing whisper.