Chapter Ten: Feline

It began to rain in the afternoon, so Sadie watched Pokémon with her Dad for the rest of the day. At some point, even their cat had joined them.

The cat was Patricia's. She had brought it home one day, a few years ago. Patricia claimed to have found it on the side of the road and that they just had to keep the poor thing.

Steven was not a cat person. He did not want a cat, but he didn't have the heart to tell his wife 'no'. Especially after she had already named it, calling it Luna-Patricia's favourite character from Harry Potter.

Luna had grey and black striped fur, with a single white sock on one of her rear legs. Like most cats, she slept a lot during the day and was more active at night.

Although Patricia had brought Luna home, Luna preferred Sadie. She would often lay or sit beside Sadie, and if Patricia tried to sit next to her, she would get up and walk away.

Luna didn't even like being picked up by anyone other than Sadie. She just would not have it.

Sadie liked dogs more than cats though, because Luna always got fur all over her clothes and toys. She often found herself trying to wipe the same piece of cat hair off her face over and over.

But, on days like today, Sadie didn't mind having Luna rest on her lap. It was nice to feel loved, even if it was just by the cat.

It was getting late though, so it was time to start the night-time routine.

Steven would make dinner and afterward Patricia would do the dishes.

Steven then got Sadie to have a bath while he changed her bed sheets-he had completely forgotten that they were still covered with dirt.

As he put on some clean sheets, he held the magic blanket in his hands and pulled a face at it. After a moment, he decided to leave it; placing it on top of the doona.

When Sadie was finished, he tucked her in to bed and gave her a kiss on the forehead before turning out the light as he exited. Always leaving the door ajar.

Unfortunately, soon after he went back downstairs Sadie would hear her parents arguing. Patricia was always the one to raise her voice first.

Sadie sat up and pulled her magic blanket over herself once again. She shut her eyes and smiled.