Chapter Fifteen: Closet Creeper

Patricia left the wardrobe and laid back in her bed-dismissing the sounds she thought she'd heard.

But in the wardrobe, in the dark, something was stirring. Sniffing. Drawn to the drop of blood on the fabric around the rip in the magic blanket.

The hole in the blanket began to dilate and something began to slither out.

As if a shadow itself had begun to creep out of the tear in the blanket. It manifested and solidified as it came into the real world.

Stretching up a single, slender, long limb at first, reaching for something to grab onto to pull itself out of the blanket.

It latched onto the closet bar-rattling a few empty coat hangers-and dragged the rest of its black body out.

It clung to the closet bar with two short hind legs, and two long front limbs. Its hind legs had hook-like claws for feet, allowing it to hang upside-down with ease.

After hanging itself in place, it took in a long breath through its nose-scenting its new environment-and opened its large black eyes.

Patricia was still having trouble getting to sleep. Her tossing and turning had attracted the creature's attention.

It gently and slowly pushed the wardrobe doors open. Reflecting the moonlight, black eyes shimmered in the darkness surrounded by an ebony silhouette.

Its head swivelled around in place until it was the right way up-not even flinching a single muscle in its body. It cocked its head to the left and to the right. Sniffing and huffing about the air. All the while watching Patricia.

It moved slowly and silently as the first of its front limbs folded down to touch the floor. Its front limbs had similar hook-like claws for hands. These claws bent backward, and it put its weight on its wrist joint.

The rest of its body followed and twisted as it came to the floor, so that it was realigned with its head-which remained perfectly in place.

The creature crept along the side of the bed until it came to Patricia's pillow. It peered down at the back of her head.

Patricia was restless and turned to face the other way. Her eyes were closed. But she felt a cold breath on her face.

When she opened her eyes, two black eyes stared back at her. She froze, and her heart began pounding in her chest. She couldn't turn away or even blink.

The creature studied her and twisted its head as if it could hear her heart beating.

After a moment the creature let out a low growl from deep inside its throat and it slowly began to open its mouth.

Patricia stared at an enormous gaping mouth full of crooked, white, needle-like teeth.

She wanted to force herself to blink, but once she shut her eyes, she couldn't bring herself to open them.

What horror was this?

Was it a nightmare?