Chapter Twenty-Nine: Behemoth

When no more monsters could be seen or heard, Steven turned to Sadie.

"Wait here." He said.

He stepped over the steaming pile of corpses and crept onward.

Still no monsters.

He sighed with relief and went over to the laundry door.

Knocking he called out to Rosemary. "It's Steven." He said. "It's over."

The door creaked open and Rosemary stepped out. She smiled weakly and tried to hide her injury.

Luckily for her, it was still dark, and he didn't notice.

They turn to face the front door-where Sadie was waiting-when Steven pauses.

"What is it?" Rosemary asked.

He squinted as he stared upstairs, his eyes searching. "I thought I saw something." He replied.

The two of them waited for a moment, peering intently in the same direction.

Until they both gasped sharply. They'd seen something slithering in the dark.

Long limbs began protruding out of Patricia's bedroom and clawed hands groped at the walls until they found a place to grab. Then they pulled forth a huge, decrepit and twisted body.

It was the largest monster by far. They couldn't help but stare at it.

Finally, its head became visible and it immediately looked at them, paralysing them with its frightening gaze.

The moment was broken by the sound of, 'Woop, woop!' The sound had come from the front of the house.

Sadie looked to a window facing the front lawn. The raindrops on the window flashed red and blue.

She desperately tried to open the door, rattling the doorknob. It was no use; the door was locked.

The behemoth of a creature started to creep down the stairs. It moved slowly, not because it couldn't move fast, but because it was still investigating. Still watching.

Steven and Rosemary tried to run toward Sadie.

Boom! The house shuddered.

The behemoth had thrown itself over the railing, landing on all fours.

Steven and Rosemary were knocked to the floor.

The behemoth had somehow twisted itself when it jumped the railing, so it took a moment to fix itself. Its hind quarters cracked and crunched where its hips would be. Then one of its rear limbs flayed out in an arc motion over to the other side of its body, untwisting its spine.

The Police started to bang on the front door.

The rain and storm were still pounding the house.

All the noise was starting to frighten Sadie, she began to pant. She covered her ears with her hands and ran to the lounge room and hid in the corner behind the couch.

The behemoth could smell Rosemary because of her injury. It was the focus of the behemoth's attention.

Steven scrambled to his feet and tried to help Rosemary up as well. The behemoth was getting closer to them, so he waved his spear about and aimed his flashlight at it.

The behemoth back-handed him in a single motion, sending him across the room and slamming into the television; both went crashing to the floor.

Steven was now under the broken television, unmoving.

His spear was nowhere to be seen and the flashlight had been flung down the entryway.

Sadie shut her eyes and began to sob.

Rosemary was now at the behemoth's mercy.