Chapter Nineteen: Hedwig

"So, let me get this straight. You expect me to believe that some monster came out of a magical blanket and killed my wife?" Questioned Steven.

"Yes. And we need to find it and sew it up before more smell the blood." Replied Rosemary.

Steven scoffed. "I'm sorry. I just. I can't believe that." He shook his head. "I'm going to call the Police."

He then stepped away to make the phone call.

Sadie tugged at Rosemary's peach coloured blouse to get her attention. "Grandma Rosie? What do you mean, 'we need to sew up the blanket before more smell the blood'?"

"When you were in the magical world inside the blanket. Did you ever meet anything that called itself, 'Hedwig'?" Asked Rosemary.

Sadie nodded. "He was a teddy-bear."

"Did he ever explain the magic of the blanket?"

"I don't remember. How do you know about Hedwig?"

"When the blanket belonged to me when I was a child. Hedwig was a fluffy white rabbit. He told me that he has existed for as long as the blanket has. He'd even come to call himself the 'keeper of the blanket'. He said that with every new owner of the blanket, he would change shape. Becoming whatever thing the child feared the least and had no control over what he turned into." Rosemary explained. "He had been there for so long, that he knew everything that there was to know about the blanket. And since I had needed the blanket for longer than any other child had before me. He came to reveal to me, the blanket's secrets. Did he ever tell you that you couldn't be hurt inside their world?"

"Yes. I do remember him saying that."

"Did he say the reason why?"

"No. I don't think he got the chance." Sadie couldn't recall. "What's the reason, Grandma Rosie?" She asked.

"Because, even though the things in the blanket look friendly and magical, what they truly are is still inside them. Slumbering. But if you were to hurt yourself and bleed. The nightmares inside would awaken. The scent of blood to them is like ecstasy. They lose control and seek out the source. To devour it. That is why it is impossible to be injured inside the blanket. Its magic protects you."

Sadie frowned. "I don't know if I understand."

Rosemary smiled. "That's okay, dear. It's probably best that you don't."

Steven approached them, gaining their attention and said, "The police are on their way."