Chapter Thirteen: A Drop of Blood

Patricia had ultimately won the tug of war, and she'd thrown her trophy in the sewing room by the bottom of the stairs. She'd sew it up-maybe.

Sadie had spent the rest of the afternoon bawling her eyes out in her bed. Ignoring the sound of her parents arguing over the whole situation.

She had finally stopped crying when she heard her mother go into the bathroom and the shower started.

Sadie was quick to her feet. She crept down the stairs. Once she was half-way down, she peeked through the wooden railing, scanning the kitchen.

Steven was in there cooking dinner, unaware of her presence.

So, Sadie tip-toed the rest of the way down to the sewing room door-which, as usual, was closed. She turned the knob slowly and entered.

There it was. Her magic blanket-now with a gaping hole near one of the corners-slumped over the ironing board.

Sadie quickly rummaged through the set of drawers to her right, that sat next to the desk with the sewing machine on it.

After finding a needle and thread, she took straight to sewing up the tear. It was her first time sewing, so she didn't really know what she was doing.

Soon enough, in all her hast, she pricked her left-thumb. She hissed in pain as she did so and pulled away immediately to check how bad it was.

A single ruby-red droplet formed over the pin-hole.

It didn't hurt anymore, so she went back to attempting to sew up the hole. The drop of blood leached into the frayed fabric of the tear that she had pinched together to sew up.

Suddenly the slam of a door startled her, and she dropped the needle.

It was no doubt her mother, shutting the bathroom door upstairs.

Sadie had to get out of the sewing room.

She tossed the blanket at the ironing board, but it fell to the floor. Sadie went to pick it up, but she could hear her mother's footsteps. The blanket would have to just remain on the carpet.

Sadie stepped out of the sewing room, pulling the door closed behind her and she strode off toward the couch.

Her mother had only just witnessed her walking away from the sewing room's general direction. Patricia stopped for a moment and gave both the door and Sadie the evils.

Sadie sat on the couch and faced the television, trying to act normal-all the while trying to also see what her mother was doing.

She saw Patricia open the sewing room door and peek in, before entering the room and exiting with the magic blanket in hand mere moments later.

Sadie's heart raced as her mother proceeded to take the blanket upstairs and presumably into her bedroom.

Would she see her magic blanket again?

It would be a lonely night that night for sure.