Chapter Six: Sadie's Kingdom

As they walked through the forest many fantastical creatures began to emerge. Unicorns, fairies, elves and even friendly dragons, tigers and other beasts.

One by one they would stop at the edge of the path and bow to Sadie as she passed them.

"We have long awaited your arrival, Princess." Said Hedwig. "We've not had a ruler for some years. It has been quite a lonely time for us. We have no purpose if we have no one to serve."

"But I'm not a Princess," Said Sadie, "I'm only six."

They had reached the chocolate river, on the other side of the forest, where Hedwig stopped before a raspberry rope bridge. He turned to Sadie and asked, "Do you see me?"

Sadie's brows pulled together. "Yes." She replied.

"Do you believe that I am real?"

"I suppose so. But only here, in this world."

"Well then, who's to say that you are not a princess in this world?" Hedwig's fuzzy eye brows rose, and he smiled at her.

Behind them, the fantastic beasts continued to follow. Sadie took a glance back at them before continuing to follow Hedwig across the bridge.

On the other side were white marble steps that led up to two enormous white doors.

As they approached, the doors opened inward and revealed a neat green courtyard. In the centre of the courtyard was a magnificent marble statue of Sadie atop a glistening fountain.

The courtyard was full of fantastic creatures and beings. Some were big, and some were small. Some were thin, and some were wide. Some looked like candy people, some looked like cuddly toys, some looked like animals, and all of them looked friendly.

As soon as she stepped into the courtyard, everyone turned, and the area fell silent. Until someone shouted, "All hail, Princess Sadie!"

The courtyard erupted with cheering and everyone gathered around Sadie.

Soon she had been lifted and sat on the back of a unicorn. The crowd ushered the unicorn into the castle's great hall.

Inside was the longest wooden table that Sadie had ever laid eyes on. It was topped from one end to the other with all sorts of foods and desserts: spaghetti, pizza, burgers, candy, chocolate, pudding, ice-cream and Sadie's favourite; chocolate cake.

The unicorn came to a stop at the end of the table, and two of the candy people helped Sadie down.

Hedwig was standing beside a gold and marble throne. He smiled at Sadie as she stepped beside him.

"This is your throne, Princess. Please, sit." Hedwig said to Sadie before he moved to sit in a chair beside the throne.

Sadie took a look around at all of the others in the great hall. Nothing but smiling faces. It made her heart happy.

She sat down in the marble throne-it was much comfier than it looked-and everyone looked to Sadie, eagerly awaiting her first command. But unsure of what to do next, she looked to Hedwig.

"This is your kingdom Princess. And these," Hedwig gestured around the table, "are your subjects. What do we do now?"

"Uhmm." Sadie twisted the corner of her blanket in her lap as she peered around the room. "Let's eat!" She shouted.

And soon the great hall filled with cheers and laughter.

Sadie would stay in her kingdom forever if she could.