Chapter Eleven: Portal

When Sadie opened her eyes, and yanked the blanket off her head, a grin spread across her cheeks and her eyes lit up.

She was back in her kingdom. Sadie leapt excitedly from the bed-that sat atop the cliff-and she saw Hedwig waiting for her by the red path.

She tied her blanket around her neck again and greeted Hedwig. "Hello again, Hedwig."

"Why hello again to you too, Princess." He responded. "What would you like to do during your visit, this time?"

"I don't kno-IS THAT AN EEVEE?!!" Sadie cried out. She didn't even wait for Hedwig to reply before she darted off along the path.

It was an Eevee, indeed. After having watched Pokémon all afternoon, the cartoon had fuelled her imagination. Filling this world with more Pokémon than any other creatures.

Once she reached the Eevee, it turned to her and spoke, "Do you want to play with me?"

Sadie looked back to Hedwig who had just caught up.

"You may do whatever you like Princess, this is your world." He said.

She turned to the Eevee, but a sudden thought hindered her. Her brows pulled together, and she returned her attention to Hedwig. "How come I was dirty when I went home last time?" She asked him.

"How 'bout you walk with me, and I'll see if I can answer your question?" Hedwig replied.

Sadie nodded, and they began to walk along the path, through the candy forest.

"I got into trouble for getting dirt all over my pyjamas." Sadie explained.

Hedwig couldn't help but smile at her words. 'What a funny sight that must have been'-he thought. "I'm sorry that you got into trouble, Princess. Although, I'm not sure if I have all the answers, I will try my utmost to explain what I do know."

Sadie kept her gaze fixed on the little teddy bear.

"This world is like a dream in many ways, it is influenced by your mind. The things that you see in the real world are transformed by your subconscious so that they are friendly thoughts and ideas. This is your mind's way of dealing with stressful or confusing situations. And the blanket is your portal. It allows you to physically enter this world. But the blanket also protects you, you cannot be harmed while in this world."

"Really?" Asked Sadie. "Like, not even if I jumped off a cliff?"

"Not even if you walked through fire." Hedwig replied. "As for why you were dirty when you returned to your world, well, that's a little more complicated. When you come through your blanket-portal, you are physically here, and say you decide to put some of this candy path in your pocket and take it home. Once you leave through the portal, the candy would turn to what it really is-a stone."

"But what about when I ate all that cake?"

"Did you notice that you never felt full? Never felt sick after eating so much?"

"No. But now I kinda do."

"This place isn't real. But at the same time, it is. This world is a sanctuary, someplace safe for you to escape to. But if any living thing from this world ever gets out it-"

"Oof!" Exclaimed Sadie, unintentionally interrupting Hedwig.

"Tag! You're it!" Yelled the Eevee as it ran off into the forest.

Without a second thought, Sadie gave chase-giggling as she did so.

She chased the Eevee through the forest until she cleared the tree line. Eevee stopped at the edge of the chocolate river. It was a face off.

The two bobbed and weaved as Sadie tried to tag Eevee. Before long other animals and creatures joined their game.

Oh, how the time flew when she was having fun. Until. "Oops." Someone called out.

Sadie had been knocked into the river. When she surfaced, a creature with short legs and long arms pulled her out.

At first everyone was quiet and stared-at Sadie and at each other-not knowing how to react.

Sadie wiped her face and looked around at everyone. Then she looked down at her pyjamas. And soon, Sadie started to giggle, and so they all joined in.

They were interrupted by the Pegasus from last time. "Excuse me, Princess. It's time to go home." He said.

Everyone cried 'Awwww'. But Sadie knew she would be back again, so she just smiled and bid them all fair well.