Chapter 29

Christmas was a tiny sliver of joy in an otherwise bleak looking world. Everyone seemed to put the worries of the outside world on hold and enjoy our time together around good people with good food. Fred and George came back from their shop in Diagon Alley. Lupin, Sirius, Neville, Augusta, and the other Weasleys were there with me.

I had asked Ginny in private where Tonks was and her only response was that she was with her mother but she didn't know anything else. I knew the fact that Ted had gone on the run was wearing on her mother's heart. Apparently he had left without telling her, since he didn't want to put her in trouble, and she would be protected by her pure blood status.

As we exchanged gifts I thought back to the last Christmas where SIrius had gotten me the black party dress and we were able to put on a New Years party. My heart sunk as I realized I couldn't do that again this year, with everyone hating Seveurs, and no one seemed to be in a partying mood.

"Here," Neville said handing me a small velvet box, "Since we got banned from Hogsmeade I had to ask Gran to get it, but I think it's perfect."

I opened it to reveal a silver ring with tiny gemstones, with a red Spinel gem in the center of it. It was my birthstone. It was gorgeous, but I felt nervous receiving a ring as a gift from him.

"I wanted to get you something you could wear all the time to remember me by but you have that necklace and bracelet that you wear still."

"You still wear that?" Sirius spat.

I blushed, "The pendants still remind me of really good things that happened in my life even if it's from my father. When I look at it it's like I can remember all the best moments of my life encapsulated in a tiny pendant."

"Well then I thought I would get you a ring," Neville continued trying to bring the subject back around, "But that can be risky, so I hope you don't mind."

"Mind? Oh Nev I love it," I put it on, "And it looks great on too. Go on, open your gift from me. I'm afraid it isn't nearly as good. I didn't have a lot of time to shop around and find the best present for you."

I gave him a large box which he unwrapped carefully then opened, "Jess, you did not," he said laughing.

I laughed as he held up the shoes I had gotten him. They had little bits of metal on the bottom so they would make tapping sounds when he danced.

"I was just thinking about how I didn't get to take you to the Yule Ball but I remember how great of a dancer you were. I booked us for classes this summer at this Muggle dance studio near Grimmauld Place. I used to go watch the dancers inside and I wanted to learn how to dance that well, and then I realized I wanted you to do it with me."

"I like that you're thinking that far ahead," he told em with a large smile, "I love my gift jessica, and I can't wait to use it."

That night I told Ginny I was heading out then snuck into what used to be Ron's room and gave Neville a kiss goodbye before I snuck out the front door and apparated into the night.

It was just past eleven when I knocked on the door of number 15 Spinner's End just as I had seven years ago meeting my father for the first time. He answered the door as if he knew I would be there soon, instead of yelling at me to get off his property like he had the first time we met.

I used to think this house was scary, and sure it held a lot of secretes within it but it was also the place I had blossomed into the person I was today, and where I became best friends with my father.

"We should have no problem finding them since you have that spell on Potter, the only tricky part is getting the sword to them," Severus said once I stepped into the atrium of the house.