Chapter Five

Enjoy & Thanks for reading!

Must Love Dogs- Chapter Five

Stefan couldn't get Caroline's words out of his head, for as much as he had tried, he kept tossing and turning at night, trying to prevent himself from thinking about it her. He rolled over to hear Duke exhaling deeply, whimpering in his sleep and seeming to shake a bit as Stefan placed his hand on to the dog's fur, waking him up and grumbling under his breath. "I like you a hell of a lot more when you're sleeping and not causing any destruction. You know that? I'm sure you do. But, really Duke, out of all the shoes you decide to chew on in the house, you went for my Prada dress shoes..Buddy, I just spent $695 dollars for those, not cool."

Stefan felt Duke's body shift up, shaking his head as he jumped off the bed, causing Stefan to turn towards his alarm clock. It was early, around 4:30 in the morning and he wondered if Caroline was even awake by now, part of him wanted to call her to talk about the other night and just as Stefan thought about it some more, leaning over to place another pillow over his eyes, he heard his cell phone go off.

"Unbelievable, who could it be now." He mumbled as he lifted himself up and placed his hand onto his Iphone, swiping his finger across the screen to see a familiar name flashing across it. "Do you even know what time it is, here?" He asked as he answered, hearing a laugh escape out of the mouth from the person on the other line.

"Bonjour Stefan!" The man said in a British accent, laughing to himself and exhaling deeply before he continued to speak. "So, how's my little sister doing? I'm currently in Paris, just thought I would call to see how you and Rebekah are doing. The rumors aren't true, are they?" Klaus asked.

Klaus Mikealson had always been Stefan's closest friend out of every one of Rebekah's family members and over the years, the two had formed a close bond with each other. Klaus was a businessman as well, he had been the one to show Stefan almost everything he needed to know to keep his real estate business afloat and because of Klaus, Stefan had established himself fairly quickly making SD Realty an even more well known company.

"The rumor's have gone international, now?" Stefan asked, rubbing his hand over his face vigorously and exhaling deeply at the thought. It was bad enough that nearly all of the nation knew about Stefan Salvatore's marital problems and now, Europe knew as well?!

"No, they haven't. I'm just teasing you, Stefan. Listen, my sister...She loves you. You know. Damon called me a few days ago and told me about what happened between the two of you. So, did she really leave you the dog and the house?" Klaus asked him, hearing Stefan inhale deeply, when Klaus remarked about Rebekah loving him.

Maybe she had loved him once, long ago. But, over the years, their love had turned toxic and it wasn't healthy being around each other. Although, Stefan couldn't help but wonder about where she had gone after she had packed up all of her things and left him so suddenly.

"Klaus, tell me that she isn't in Paris right now with you, is that why you're calling me..Please, just-." Stefan began to say as Klaus cut him off.

"She isn't. I actually have no idea where Rebekah is or who she's with. I just, I wanted to call and make sure that you were doing okay. Stefan, just because the two of you are divorced. It doesn't mean that our friendship has to change. I mean, for god sakes, I was the one who made you two happen." He commented with a laugh, hearing Stefan laugh as well, slowly getting up from his bed and hearing Duke bark from inside of the kitchen.

"Yeah, I guess so. Klaus, I hate to cut this phone call short. But, maybe it's better since I don't really want you paying an arm and a leg for a long distance phone call to make sure that I'm not falling apart because your sister left me. Trust me, Klaus. I'm fine." Stefan confirmed, getting up from his bed and walking towards the sound of Duke's increased barking.