Chapter Ten

Enjoy & Thanks for reading!

Follow me on Twitter to discuss my stories to to just chat at: BePassionate_24

Must Love Dogs- Chapter Ten

"What made you decide to stay in Florida?" He asked her, watching as her eyes grew and she let out a small laugh.

"What makes you think that I want to stay here? This little arrangement is temporary by my mothers and aunts standards." Elena clarified as Stefan smiled, continuing to look out towards the water and placing his arms on to his knees.

"Yeah, sure it is. If it's so temporary. Then, why did you have a bunch of real estate books in your living room?" He asked her, watching her face contort into a puzzled look.

"Oh, that? That's nothing. I was just looking at places, apartments really. Just in case if I wanted to stay here. But, that's still in debate." She told him, smiling as he coughed out a breath and then he shrugged his shoulders back.

"Well, if you ever need a real estate agent or something. I do own an agency. So, feel free to ask me about good places to live." He pointed out as Elena glanced up at him.

"Yeah, I'll be sure to ask you...So, what's the deal between you and that blonde bartender, Caroline? She seems to like you, a lot." Elena said, changing the subject and causing Stefan to look as if he had been punched in the gut.

"Caroline? She's harmless. She's been my best friend since we were kids. We went to the same schools, lived in the same neighborhood...During college, we even dated for like two weeks. But, we decided that it was better that we just kept our friendship what it was without all those pesky emotions of getting intimately involved. So, we broke it off and have still remained close ever since." Stefan explained, hearing Elena let out a small laugh as the wind picked up and blew her hair in front of her face, causing Stefan to instantly react.

Elena felt his cool hands on her face, brushing her hair out of her eyes and smiling up at her when she was able to see clearly again. Her laugh made him soften too, the small chuckle made him relax a bit while he was with her and it felt good to laugh again.

"She still looks at you like she's in love with you or something." Elena pointed out, hearing Stefan sigh out a breath. Elena watched him shake his head in disagreement.

"It's because she is. But, I made it clear how I feel too. You know when you've been friends with someone for so long and when you try being something more, that it gets weird. And until that happens, you think that there might actually be possibilities of it working out?" Stefan asked Elena as she smiled and nodded. She knew it all too well with the guy back home that she had loved and over the years, it had become something that was straddling the line of love and friendship.

"Yeah. I do. A guy back home that I was friends with, he was my best friend and well, feelings got involved and then, I told him I was leaving to come here for the summer." Elena revealed, watching Stefan nod his head.

"How'd he take the news?" Stefan curiously asked her, hearing Elena laugh when she added. "He wanted to come with me, asked me if he could stay at my aunt's house. When, I told him that it probably wasn't a good idea. He told me that he loved me and that when I came home, that he'd be waiting. It's because of him that I don't get too attached to people. I don't like it." Elena confessed.

Stefan rested his hand close to hers as she spoke, his thumb accidentally brushing up against her skin as Elena glanced up to see him smiling at her. "Sorry, I didn't mean to do that. I just.." He began to say as she laughed, placing her hand on to his shoulder and locking her eyes on to his. "It's fine, it's not like you tried to kiss me or something. Now, that would have complicated things."