Chapter Six

Follow me on Twitter for updates at:Be_Passionate24

Must Love Dogs- Chapter Six

She had never seen anything like it. Stefan Salvatore's house was more than anything Elena Gilbert could ever imagine, that she stopped at the door, just glancing up at it in awe when she rang the doorbell the next morning and waited for him to answer.

His house looked like a creation from something that she had only seen in the movies, palm trees surrounded the entrance, huge stone pillars hovering over the walk way, holding up the entry way to the house and when she took a step back, hearing the door unlock and Stefan grumble at the dog. Elena smiled to herself at what she figured would be an even better view inside.

She stood back when he leaned against the door frame in a well pressed dark blue suit, licking his lips and grinning at her. "Good morning. Miss Gilbert."

Elena looked down at his polished shoes, moving her eyes up at the cuffs on his sleeves. She was at loss for words. How could someone look so well put together so early in the morning? She mentally slapped herself at how she looked, black jogging sweat pants, her hair thrown up in a messy pony tail and her "Oregon Ducks" sweat shirt was covering her short sleeved pink shirt that she had thrown on in a hurry to get to his house on time, her makeup barely even covering the dark circles she had under her eyes from staying up so late the night before.

"Hi." Was all Elena could manage to say as she watched him take a step back, smiling when he extended out his hand towards the entry way into the house and said. "Duke's in the backyard, I'm on my way to go pick us up some breakfast and then I have a conference call to do. But, please..Come in."

"You got all dressed up for a conference call?" Elena asked him in a surprised tone, stepping into the house that she had imagined would be filled with all expensive modern day furniture and maybe even a life sized statue of himself, since Stefan did in fact seem like the type of guy that would do such a thing. But, as she stepped further into the house. She wasn't sure if her heart sank or if she wanted to ask tons of questions as to why it was so bare and empty, boxes scattered everywhere and newspapers crumpled on the floor all over the place.

" Well. My father always said to be dressed to impress at all times. The boxes are from my wife..She left me, with the house. But, she took most of her stuff, leaving it a disaster zone of this. I'm sure you know who I'm speaking about...My wife, Rebekah..The one that all the articles on me have been buzzing about with.." Stefan explained as he watched Elena swallow the lump in her throat, looking around at the bare minimum that he had in such a large house. A white colored sofa, a large plasma tv, two chairs with a dining table that looked like it was patio furniture, and a few other essentials in which he seemed not very fond of.

"I guess she figured that I didn't much. Ha, she was wrong about that though..Because, I needed her." Stefan said, his tough guy act dropping for a brief moment as Elena took a step towards him and Stefan pinched the bridge of his nose, letting out a laugh that sounded almost as if he was masking most of his painfully breaking heart at the mention of what Rebekah had done to him.

"Stefan..I..." Elena's voice trailed off as she looked up at him and he turned away from her, fixing his suit and grabbing his car keys.

"Look, you said it yesterday. You're here for the dog- not me. So, how about we focus on him, instead of me. Because, I really don't need to hear about how sorry you are or see the sympathy in your eyes. My life changed the night she left me and I'm just trying to pick up the pieces. I don't need you to help me, I don't need anyone. I've got it handled, all of it. And, for the record..I'm perfectly fine." Stefan told her as she nodded and exhaled in an attempt at trying to understand him.