8

"Church?" says Cameron.

I pull on a blue sweater, glancing at myself in the mirror and pulling my hands inside the sleeves. "Yup."

"That's cool, Sam."

There's a sound on the other end of the line, like a sink being turned on, and I press the phone against my ear. "You think? I don't know. Pierce offered, so I said yes."

"Yeah! Really, Sam. Who knows, maybe you'll really like it."

"I kind of doubt it. Do you go to church anymore?"

"No. I - no. But there are some religious guys on the team. A few pray before every game. Then we have a Jewish guy, and a Muslim guy. It seems to work for them."

"Some people are just so happy."

Cameron's quiet.

"I just mean that... religion makes them happy," I say.

"Yeah. Like my mom."

"I won't even know what to do. Pray? I haven't prayed since I was younger."

"You probably still know the words by heart."

I probably do. Pierce walks into the dorm room, his hair damp from the showers, a nice coat pulled over a button-down. He clasps a watch around his wrist.

"I have to go," I say to Cameron, looking back at the mirror and running my fingers through my hair. "I'll call you later. You have a game tonight?"

"Yeah, in Calgary."

"Good luck. You'll do great. I'll try and watch, if I don't have too much work."

"Sounds good. You have fun, too. Say a little prayer for me." I hear the smile in his voice - but I don't smile back, and instead watch myself blink in the mirror, like I'm making eye contact with a complete stranger.

~

Laura, Pierce, and I take the T to church. It's busy by the time we get there, families walking up the brick steps and through the ornate wooden doors, little girls wearing dresses and boys pulling at itchy sweaters. The sky is a pale, cloudless blue, a chilly breeze wafting over the city. I stuff my hands in my pockets and rock on my heels.

We sit in a pew by the back, and I look around. It smells like smoke, like rich perfume - stained-glass windows line the walls, Sunday afternoon light trickling in. There's an altar at the front of the room, and statues carved out of smooth stone.

The first half of the service, I'm completely zoning out. I can't stop thinking of chemistry, trying to balance equations in my head and failing. But suddenly a hush falls over the church, and everyone in the building gets on their knees and lowers their eyes.

I glance beside me at Pierce, whose hands are clasped together. On the other side of him, Laura is doing the same thing, her red hair pulled back in a braid.

I rub my forehead with my palm and bend my head, looking down at my scuffed-up sneakers, silence thick and stuffy in my ears. And suddenly, I feel like I'm frozen on a large stage, a thousand people staring up at me, waiting for me to do something.

I think - Our father, who art in heaven...

And then I think - My uncle is sick.

And then I think - My uncle, the only person left, might die soon, and I will be alone, filled with guilt, failing university. God?

And I am filled with such a wave of sadness, I can hardly stand it. I lean back in my seat - how does silence last? (forever) - and try to breathe, but my lungs are filled with smoke and rich perfume.

The priest finally opens his mouth - hands unclasp, wooden pews creak, and the choir begins to sing a song, something washed-out and ethereal, echoing throughout the airy building.

I think - At least keep Cameron safe.

~

"You must be Sam Hughes!"

Pierce's father shakes my hand. He's huge, towering over me, with an enveloping handshake. His face is warm, split with laughter lines and a kind smile. Pierce's mother shakes my hand too - she's much frailer than her husband, wearing a patterned green dress, but she's also looking at me like I'm a son.

"Nice to meet you both, Mr. and Mrs. Walters," I say, already feeling my cheeks start to warm. Mass is over, and people are pooling out the doors, often stopping to chat with a neighbor by the pews.

"We've heard a lot about you," says Mrs. Walters as Pierce kisses her cheek. "We were so excited when Pierce said you would be joining us today!"

"Are you in pre-med with Pierce and Laura?" asks Mr. Walters.

"No, I'm majoring in physics and chemistry."

"He wants to be a rocket scientist," adds Pierce. Laura slips her hand into his and leans against his shoulder. "He's crazy smart. He studies way more than me."

Mr. Walters laughs, his voice deep and booming. "Maybe you can teach Pierce how to study. He's a smart boy, but he's never been too keen on cracking open the old textbook."

"You might be right," says Pierce. "Let's just say that rowing takes up all my free time and go with that." His parents laugh.

I didn't know how Pierce would act in front of his parents, but of course I'm not surprised - he's polite and personable, even at a church miles away from school. I wonder if his parents would be surprised to find out that Pierce parties a lot, but I doubt it. They must know how popular their son is.

"Well, that's too bad you're not in pre-med," says Mr. Walters, turning back to face me. "The hospital I work at is always looking for volunteers, especially in the children's unit."

Mrs. Walters smiles. "Something tells me he's good with kids."

I think of Hailey. "Oh, I don't know."

"And humble! I'm glad you two are roommates." Mrs. Walters winks at me, like she's letting me in on a secret. "Will you be joining us again next weekend, Sam?"

"Maybe!" I say. But I don't think so. I don't think so.

A/N i know it's tough sometimes getting chapter by chapter, especially when i'm sure a lot of you read TSOI all at once! but remember that this is a novel and it's also a very rough draft, and some chapters will definitely be development and not be jam-packed with excitement :)