9

I sit cross-legged on Eliza's bed, reaching into the bag of yogurt-covered pretzels. She sprawls out on her colorful pillows, chewing loudly, stretching her patterned socks towards the grainy television.

"He's number twenty-one."

"Yes."

"I don't see him. How are you supposed to tell who anyone is? Everyone's moving too fast."

"He has the puck right now - do you see him? He just passed it - there, see?"

"I don't even know where the puck is. But I trust you." She digs around in the pretzel bag and sighs loudly.

My chemistry textbook sits on my lap, unopened, for once, as Eliza and I watch Cameron's game. Her dorm room is really nice, much bigger than mine, and it's decorated with tons of string lights and cool art prints. In the corner sits a grainy box television - when I have time to watch Cameron play, this is where I come.

On the screen, Cameron steals the puck and takes off down the ice - the announcer's voice raises with excitement as he darts out of the way of a defenseman, maneuvering the puck swiftly and carefully. He snaps it towards his teammate who tips it into the net, and I smile as he punches the air, the crowd cheering.

"Did we just score?"

"Yes, we scored. See him now? The camera's zooming in on twenty-one."

"Oh, yeah, I see him."

"He's really good, you know. Everyone's saying he's one of the best rookies in the league. Well, I think he is the best. And he's second on the Leafs right now in terms of points scored. Isn't that crazy?"

I glance sideways at Eliza, who's smiling at me. "You're so cute."

My cheeks burn. "Well, it's just crazy, at all."

"How did you guys start dating?"

I look down at my hands and tuck them into my sweatshirt sleeves. "We were neighbors. He needed math help."

"And then what? You guys studied together and fell in love?"

"Yeah, I guess so." I don't tell her how much it hurt, at first. How complicated and messy our relationship was. How much I loved him, even at the beginning, even that first day when he knocked on my door and said, So if you could... I mean, tutor me, that would be awesome, but it's okay if you can't.

There's a knock at the door, and Eliza looks at me pointedly like it's my own dorm room.

"Julie?" I ask.

"No, Julie wouldn't knock." She clears her throat. "Come in!"

Marly steps through the door, and Eliza shrieks with excitement. "Marly!"

"I have my makeup kit, if this is a good time," says Marly. "I texted you, but I didn't hear anything back, so I thought I'd come check and see if you were busy now."

"Yeah, now is perfect! My phone died. Come on in, we're just watching hockey."

Marly smiles at me. She looks different from Halloween - no Catwoman costume, obviously - but same warm smile and smooth, dimpled cheeks. Her black hair is tossed up in a messy ponytail.

"Hey, Sam," she says sweetly.

"Marly," I say awkwardly. "Hi."

Eliza brushes pretzel crumbs off her comforter and pats a place on the bed for Marly to sit. "Marly's going to give me a makeover," Eliza explains.

"Oh, cool."

"I mean, Marly's really good at makeup. I can barely put on mascara. She has to teach me her tricks. Look at her eyeliner, Sam! Look how good it is!"