20

The morning of the exam, Eliza and I get breakfast at the diner. The exam isn't until the late afternoon - I wanted it to be early so I could get it over with, but Eliza is relieved we can sleep in.

"Eat," says Eliza.

I glance down at the plate of scrambled eggs in front of me. "Not hungry."

She cuts into her own stack of chocolate chip pancakes, maple syrup pouring over the sides. "You have to eat," she insists.

Eggs are the only thing I know how to make.

You cook now?

Come over. You'll see.

I eat a bite, then steal a slice of Eliza's bacon.

"Eat more."

"Eliza, come on. I'm nervous. You want me to throw up all over the table?"

Eliza laughs and rolls her eyes. Around us, the diner is bustling, silverware clinking and conversation flowing. The sky outside is a pale, cloudless blue, and bare tree branches shiver in the wind. A taxi honks loudly, and I glance out the window as cars and city buses jerk to a stop.

"You want to talk about chemistry?" I ask, my eyes following a bright purple car as it dodges around traffic.

"No, I do not."

"We have some time to review a bit more."

"Sam, look at me. We've literally studied dozens of hours for this. We know this stuff. Let's focus on something else, okay?" She takes a big bite of pancakes, and I smile as her eyes flutter dramatically. "Oh, shit. This is really good."

"Let's keep it PG," I say. Use Ksp (the solubility product constant) to determine the amount of Ba2+ ions that remain in solution at the equivalence point. If you add sulfate ions to an equilibrium reaction involving other sulfate ions, the reaction will consume the added ions to reach a new equilibrium.

Eliza tucks a strand of hair behind her ear. "So, when are you heading back to Canada?"

"Three days."

"You taking a plane?"

"No, train. Cheaper. And besides, I don't mind the train. It's scenic. What about you?"

"My plane to San Fran leaves tomorrow night." She takes a sip of coffee, her eyes steady on my face. "So... are you going to tell Cameron?"

I feel sick again. "I don't know. I should. Should I?"

Eliza shrugs neutrally. "I think you'll feel less guilty if you do. You have a lot of guilt inside of you, Sam, you know that?"

I push my fork around my plate. "I don't know. Let's change the topic again."

"Okay, okay - I do have to tell you what just happened in the show I'm watching, I was shook - but first, let me just say you can always talk to me over the break. Okay? Call me or text me whenever."

I glance up at Eliza, her dark eyes shimmering sincerely. "Thank you," I say, and really mean it.

Eliza opens her mouth to reply, but her eyes suddenly focus on something over my shoulder. I turn around.

"Hey, Marly!" says Eliza cheerfully, her voice raising an octave.

Marly freezes for a split second when she sees us - her hands are tucked in the pockets of a grey trench coat, and a knit headband is pulled over ears - but she regains composure quickly, smiling warmly at us and walking over. "Hi, guys!"

Eliza nods to the food on the table. "Want some bacon?"

"I'm okay, thanks. I was just gonna grab a coffee, my psych exam is in an hour." She rocks on her heels. "Is the chem exam today?"