08 : Selling It

Backstage at the club, I put on my new outfit; the cheaper version of what Remy bought me

Backstage at the club, I put on my new outfit; the cheaper version of what Remy bought me. I didn't realize the shit cost twelve hundred dollars until I went to purchase it in another color. Now I'm stuck with a cheap substitute that rides up my ass like it's trying to crawl inside of me.

I'm also stuck with this job, working weekday lunches to try to scrape together my tuition payment and five hundred extra dollars together by the end of next week. Life's a serious bitch.

From the corner of my eye, I spot Cheshire stands with a couple of the other girls, chatting as they do their makeup. She glances in my direction and I feel a twinge of nervousness. They're talking about me. Again.

After they're done with their little chat, Cheshire strolls over in my direction as she snacks on the last of her bag of chips. How she eats like that and still rocks a body better than mine, I will never understand. The bitch has gifts.

She says nothing, continuing to snack as the other girls make their way out to the floor. When they leave, she moves to stand next to me. "So, the chickenheads have been clucking again," she says between sucking the salt from the tips of her fingers.

"And what have they been saying?"

"The rumor is that you've landed a better job. They're jealous."

Everybody talks. "Sounds about right."

She leans against the vanity, propping her tight, perfect ass right in my view. I want to hate her, I really do. "So, is it true?"

I attempt to gauge her intent, but I doubt she'd gossip about me anyway. "Yes."

Her eyebrows shoot up. She leans towards me to whisper. "What is it?"

"My brother owns an escort service -- but before you ask me for a job, know that I have no say in who he hires."

She chuckles. "That's fine, girl, I'm not asking. I have different goals in mind." She looks away with a smile on her pretty, red-painted lips. "You know the ranch out on I-15?"

Everyone knows that ranch. It's one of the most famous brothels in the country. "Yeah."

"I have an interview with them next week. If all goes well, I'll be out of here too."

"Well, shit!" I exclaim. "I'm happy for you, but I'm going to miss you, girlie."

"I know. You're the only person I actually like here," she pouts. "But if we both stop working here -- which let's pray we do -- let's do real friend things like hang out and call each other and shit," she says as she stands again. "I mean it. You have my number for a reason."

I chuckle. "Okay. That sounds like fun."

"Fingers crossed for us both." She smiles and walks away, swaying her hips as she goes. Goddammit, why can't I hate her? I get off my ass and scramble out onto the floor behind her.